Mussolini's Bunker

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Wordsmith, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

For WW2 buffs, they've just rediscovered Mussolini's bunker under Rome.

First photographs emerge of Mussolini's secret wartime bunker - Telegraph

2. "assassinated by the RAF"

Does carpet bombing the wrong 20 square mile area count as an assassination attempt?
    • Like Like x 1

3. No, but a Tallboy dropped down his chimney to land in his morning coffee cup might.
  4. People have never started wars. 'Leaders', elected or otherwise, are the only ones who start wars yet 'leaders' are the only ones guaranteed to survive.

5. Not quite accurate in this case.
  6. I don't know who told you that, but they obviously are taking drugs or something as its not always true. Did you ever hear about Hitler and as alib has shown Mussolini didn't fulfil that statement.
  7. Hmmm...actually Benito, and Adolf didn't. Nor did Saddam as I recall.
  8. Or Tony Blai.... Oh hang on....err lads, we have some unfinished business to attend to.
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

did you hear Mussolini's last recording ???

I,m hanging from the lamppost at the corner of my street waiti.........
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

On a business trip to Milan in 1973 my hosts made a particular point of taking me to the roundabout where Benito and bint had been hung up to dry.
  11. Why, was he still there?
  12. Back in the 80s a mate of mine went to work in Italy, being a bit of a historian he wanted to get some books on Benito. After the Italian book seller was convinced he wasn't taking the piss, he showed him a whole wedge of literature on Il Duce; he's still quite popular in large parts of Italy it seems. He did hold power for twenty odd years. Not a usual Italian trick.
  13. Fair comment from you and cabana above. What I meant was there are bunkers into which 'leaders' and their offspring scuttle once the button has been pressed. The electorate, on the other hand, can take their chances.

14. Fascinating. Actually the bunker is not all that big, 800-900 square feet is about the size of a one bedroom flat.

Actually some of the things built by Il Duce were quite sturdy and well built. The cousins-in law live on their farm not far from Avelino. The farm has a concrete blockhouse with gun slits, apparently for machine guns, which now houses their chickens. Also has a fairly tall round concrete tower which is broader at the base and top and tapers in the middle and currently serves as the water tower for the tank that serves their farm. I have seen similar recycling of WW II structures in that area.
  15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

And here. One of my neighbours has a sturdy garden shed which started life as an air raid shelter.