Muslims should buy influence in media: OIC (Reuters)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GuyT, Sep 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Muslims should buy influence in media: OIC
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-13T153302Z_01_L13903592_RTRUKOC_0_US-RELIGION-MEDIA-ISLAM.xml&archived=False

More articles on TT IRAQ: http://www.tt-iraq.com

Reuters text:

RIYADH (Reuters) - Muslim tycoons should buy stakes in global media outlets to help change anti-Muslim attitudes around the world, ministers from Islamic countries heard at a conference in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday.

Information ministers and officials meeting under the auspices of the 57-nation Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the world's largest Islamic body, said Islam faced vilification after the September 11 attacks, when 19 Arabs killed nearly 3,000 people in U.S. cities in 2001.

"Muslim investors must invest in the large media institutions of the world, which generally make considerable profits, so that they have the ability to affect their policies via their administrative boards," OIC chief Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu told the gathering in the Saudi city of Jeddah.

"This would benefit in terms of correcting the image of Islam worldwide," he said, calling on Muslim countries to set up more channels in widely-spoken foreign languages.

Muslim stakes in Western media are minimal. Billionaire Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns 5.46 percent of media conglomerate News Corp., the Rupert Murdoch-run group behind the Fox News Channel. The U.S. channel is generally seen as right-wing and no friend of Arab or Muslim interests.

Washington's response to September 11, invading Afghanistan and Iraq and tightening civil freedoms at home as part of a wider "war on terror", has created a widespread feeling among Muslims worldwide that their religion is under attack.

A row earlier this year over Danish cartoons that depicted the Prophet Mohammed deepened the sense of a divide between Islamic culture and the West.

"The fierce attack on Islam in the five years since the September 11 attacks has forced us into a defensive position on our faith and understanding of our tolerant religion," Egyptian Information Minister Anas el-Feki said in a speech.

"Now more than ever we need a new Islamic media message that reaches all parts of the world," Feki said, citing Israel's recent 34-day war in Lebanon as one issue where Muslims needed to make their views and influence felt.

2. That should help to put the trueth back into the news. :wink:

Single owners of shares in an organisation have little or no direct effect on the running of that organisation unless they organise more share owners to challange the status quo or they have the majority of shares.

IMHO

JJ

3. RIYADH (Reuters) - Muslim tycoons should buy stakes in global media outlets to help change anti-Muslim attitudes around the world, ministers from Islamic countries heard at a conference in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday.

"Muslim investors must invest in the large media institutions of the world, which generally make considerable profits, so that they have the ability to affect their policies via their administrative boards," OIC chief Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu told the gathering in the Saudi city of Jeddah.

"This would benefit in terms of correcting the image of Islam worldwide," he said, calling on Muslim countries to set up more channels in widely-spoken foreign languages.

If I remember on an earlier thread regarding the brothers who kept money at home because it was against their religion to profit as usury is associated with Jews, how does this compare as a way of making money?
    Is it just a case that certain Moslems speculate/are not as staunch of their religion as others, just as any other followers of any religion have 'true' believers and those who pay lip service to their particular creed?

Or are there certain ways of making money that are not proscribed by their faith :roll:

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Investing in the media is also very popular with Jews, especially in the US.

Whatever next; muslims raising funds for Neu Arbeit by selling peerages, perhaps?

5. Very true, but as I stated above, Jews have always been associated with usury and business. My comment was in regard to the 2 brother's claims that their religion forbade them to make a profit from saving money by putting it in banks, hence keeping it in the house under the bed.

It would appear that the speakers here see no problems in making profits, indeed they are encouraging other moslems to do so. So, who is the most religious or devout?

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Damn I just wrote this post and then failed to up it, grrrrr.

The type of prohibted finance you are speaking of is called usury or riba. What is allowed is investment which share holding would indeed be. Let me give a simple example.

1.) Man A goes to Man/BankB and ask to borrow £.25m who agrees at 5% APR. Riba

2.) Man A goes to Man/BankB and asks to borrow £.25m, Man/BankB either lends him the money at 0% (and thereby justifies why he is locally known as sheikh) or purchases a % of the venture. Halal.

7. Thanks for your post Nehustan. I see where you are coming from in terms of borrowing. However, the 2 brothers had money at home so were not borrowing. Their claims were that they couldn't put the money IN A BANK as they would be making a profit out of it. Now, that would be an investment, would it not? Or is it just a case that to simply deposit cash for saving and receiving interest on the money is not allowed?

8. How about they just ask muslims to be nice in the world, and the rest of the world would see how nice they can be. Lot cheaper than buying crappy sattelite stations. :lol:

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Yep exactly that. I think the premise of Islamic finance is not anti-capital as such, turning a profit is fine. But there must be some speculation. One could actually argue from a western perspective that you are indeed speculating on interest rates and their fluctuation i.e. mood of BofE. However if one stands back from the whole process of usury, it can be seen simplified as exploitation of those who do not own capital nor means of production and merely sell their hours labour, usually with no economic power. I won't rant or I'll start sounding like a marxist. Investing in companies individuals requires business sense and savvy, and to execute that crucial 51% or above hit rate that ensures profit probably nutures all manner of poistive traits. Remember Muhammad prior to be a prophet was involved in commerce and trade, so was very aware of false profits (now that sir is puntastic!!!).

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Interesting idea. I'd argue that anyone who has experienced muslim culture i.e. as hosts, can already testify to that. There was a rasta skanking out a Marley tune yesterday on the underground, lyrics were...

'My belly full but me hungry, a hungry man is an angry man"

Kind of seems relevant in some way. In the scheme of things I have stayed in the suburbs of Cairo, in an area famed for being a hotbed for the MB. I think comparing that to any town centre across the UK on a saturday night, and the level of opportunity we have here, the Muslims en masse aren't doing that badly, despite what the media would portray.