Muslims feel dehumanised.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kromeriz, Feb 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC Radio 4 Today programme playing now and muslims are feeling hard done by.

We should integrate with muslims and understand that the onus is not on muslims to understand, but the rest of us to feel closer to them.

And 78% of muslims feel offended by publishing an image of the prophet although the interviewee states that when he does his survey it will be 100% and we should understood that it offends muslims and we, the rest, should understand them.

Thoughts? Can we be compatible with the muslim way of life and feel closer to them?

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
  2. No. If they don't like having their religious leaders mocked in print, then they can go and live in a country where such publication wouldn't be allowed. If they wish to live in a secular, Western country then get over it.

• Like Like x 94
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. As long as you don't include the UK which is not a Secular state.

Whilst lots of people would like it to be, the fact that there are Bishops in the upper house, among other things, means that it is not.

Last year, David Cameron confirmed that UK is a Christian country, whilst more than 50% of people who responded to a British Social Attitudes Survey last year recorded that they had no interest in religion. It is said that the UK will become a Secular state by 2030.

My own opinion is that it will take the Arab nations and other Islamic states several thousand years to achieve parity. Unless we use another, quicker option.

• Like Like x 18

4. Given the number of people who physically go to church on a regular basis....The UK is a secular state. Not quite like France, which is aggressively secular to the point of banning religious symbols in State buildings and in public places

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Definition of Secularism: "Secularism is a principle that involves two basic propositions. The first is the strict separation of the state from religious institutions. The second is that people of different religions and beliefs are equal before the law."

The UK is not a Secular state because the Church is represented in Parliament: "26 bishops of the Church of England sit in the House of Lords. Known as the Lords Spiritual, they read prayers at the start of each daily meeting and play a full and active role in the life and work of the Upper House."

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I got quite angry listening to it. The female student stating over and over that we should 'understand' Muslims, not constantly ask them if they feel British... fine, but it's not a crime nor an unreasonable question to ask whether someone feels like a citizen of the country that they live in.

The same with the guy at the end: all reasonable words but his attempts to assert that there's no such thing as freedom of speech rankled. You can actually say anything you like, it's just that you may face legal action if it's beyond the pale. In other words, there is freedom of speech - things aren't banned, which is what he was trying to advocate.

It was notable that when pressed on the 20+ per cent of Muslims who aren't offended by images of the Prophet and whether they are the example to follow, he chose to reinforce a conservative line. That's an issue: the loss of control is leading to more conservatism (a common phenomenon where religion is concerned). He used a lot of very reasonable-sounding words but his underlying message was uncompromising.

It also made me reflect that you probably wouldn't hear those with strong anti-Muslim feelings being given the same air time.

Once again, 5 per cent of the population got an inordinate amount of say.

Edited to replace 'here' with 'hear'.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 26
  7. Being religious has nothing to do with going to church. That is just a building that a number of like-minded individuals wish to go to to have a formal worship. Don't confuse buildings with faith or religion.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 24
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Islam as a religion is 600 years behind Christianity. Think what Christians were like in the 15th century!
    We either have to wait 600 years for them to catch up or send for the inquisition.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Adding my four penn'orth, I do NOT accept that Islam is a religion of peace but instead seeks world domination, SO if we 'infidels' look on the Muslims with suspicion, that is their problem

• Like Like x 33
  10. He was very uncompromising in the most polite way. Which is worrying. Furthermore, I agree with your point about air time.

11. I gave up listening after 30 seconds and rode my bike to work.
    Paul Sinha who represents 7.5% of our population is wiser and funnier.

• Like Like x 1
  12. And nobody expects the Spanish inquisition

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ...and Christianity is 600 years behind Atheism.

• Like Like x 19
  14. There's irony in there somewhere.

• Like Like x 3