Muslims call for special bank holidays

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Aug 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having re read the Ausie page and seen whats happening in holland and other countries. re you want to be here stick by our traditions and way of life.

Why is it not a supprise to read this.

Just a matter of time .

I really liked the

'We told her if you give us religious rights, we will be in a better position to convince young people that they are being treated equally along with other citizens.'

and the relief that

Sharia law, which is practised in large parts of the Middle East, should also be introduced in Britain, they argued. While it specifies stonings and amputations as routine punishments for crimes, Dr Pasha said he wanted it only for family affairs.
  2. Its the Daily Mail FFS - to be taken with a truck load of salt.

Follow this link to the Daily Mail headline generator to get a good idea how they think.
  3. So that's how they do it!
  4. Personally I would agree with allowing Muslims religious holidays. We've got them. I wouldn't be up for the introduction of any laws other than those we have and which are voted through parliament, but as Sir Sydney says, it's in the 'Daily Hate' which has even less credibility as a newspaper than the 'Daily Sport'.

Mind you, I'm glad that the 'Daily Hate' has picked on the Muslims. It takes the heat of us Jocks for a while.

I wonder who'll be next?
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

No go on, we can do this, we should be a multi-cultural society, every religions holy days should be celebrated with a day off.

So that's our current 8 for E&W, + 2 extras from Scotland, and 2 more from NI.

Add in the (approx) 8 from Islam, 13 from Hinduism, 10 from Judaism, 7 from Sikhism, 6 from Buddhism, 1 from Mormonsim, and 11 from Baha'i (plus the 19 feast days)...We would get 87 bank holidays, add in my five weeks leave, that leaves only 148 working days a year...that's less than half...throw in a couple of sick days and some local cultural events and we might as well not bother working and all become French...;)

p.s. The above post is meant to be sarcastic, please take it in such a way, the failure to include a major religion in the data or to incorrectly define holy days is unintentional and I apologse for the fault.
  6. Mind you what is the problem in allowing family matters to be settled using the principle of Sharia Law, if all parties agree. After all family law is different in both Scotland and Northern Ireland to that in England and we cope with that OK.

Remember Family Law is very different to both criminal and religious observance law.

7. Personally i would not stand for any introduction of sharia law in Great Britain. as it would almost certainly be the begining of Britain becoming a muslim state.

We are so PC that we will not be allowed to celebrate christmas, eat bacon, take out a mortgage or our birds in revealing clothes and we will be stting round thinking "how the f**k did this happen, did we lose a war or something"?
  8. Here’s a few of my favourite quotes…

The tone of that meeting sounded almost like a threat to me along the lines of “introduce Islamic law and begin converting Britain and we’ll attempt to de-radicalise our youth.
  9. Be interesting to see if it appears in some form on the Biased Broadcasting Corporation then, and what spin they put on it. :wink:
  10. Is this a Wah? I thought strict muslims weren't allowed to use banks, so how can they have bank holidays?!?!?

I'm going to write to the Bank of Baghdad to ask their opinion, has anyone got the address?
  11. Careful you don’t upset them, once Sharia law is introduced you’ll be the first to be stoned.
  12. At the risk of sounding unpleasant, there are about 1.5 million Muslims in this country which is comprised of 60+ million people. Why should the other 58.5 million pander to the wishes of such a small minority? If the equivalent percentage of non-Muslims tried to pull a stunt like that in Saudi Arabia they would be given short shrift and made to leave very quickly. It cuts both ways and these radicals should remember that.

13. Everyone is getting very po-faced about this.

People of all religious persuasions have the freedom to practice their religion period as our American cousins would say.

Freedom of exppresion ie 'We would like to see Sharia Law introduced' is just Dr Pasha gobbing off.

As stabadrop succinctly puts it they are a minority so everyone just calm down.

And without wanting to repeat myself IT WAS THE DAILY MAIL!
  14. I dont mind giving Muslims bank holidays - But can we choose when they are? and can Non muslims take teh day off too?

Personally Id like the Friday before and the Tuesday after the August bank holiday.

And possibly January the second