Muslims, blah blah

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rumpelstiltskin, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Article that may interest the usual suspects:

Might be interesting to watch, for anyone who has BBC World.
  2. Can I just point out:-

Thank you.
  3. But the article has a point - why is it that, in general, the media choose certain things to focus on and not others? Because they believe, and may be right, that good positive news doesn't sell papers or advertising.
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Its a fair point i reckon. If all however many millions of muslims were war mongering religious fanatics, a full scale war would already have started.
    But papers rarely sell based on headlines along lines of "9 out of 10 muslims prefer peaceful co-existence!"
  5. That's precisely the point I was trying to make. The only baiting going on here is that of the Mail-quoting, petition-forwarding, blog-cut'n'pasting rent-a-mob.
  6. They are a cultural group surely??

Like bacteria...
  7. Most people who follow a religion are what one might call moderate, or mainstream, or even reasonable. That counts for Muslims, Christians (of whatever persuasion), or any other religion.

But there are large quantities of extremists involved with any such group - and that extends beyond strict religion to people with profoundly held views on other matters. Environmentalist and animal welfare activists spring to mind.

Of course the press report the sensationalist stuff, be it "Muslim" suicide bombers, child abusing "Christian" cults, PETA extremists or whatever.

But we should not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of all these people: Sunday church attenders, Friday mosque attenders, RSPCA members etc, are normal moderate members of society.

Pious rant over!
  8. nice play on words :D
  9. And how is that relevant, Mr D? The way the media treats various (mainstream or minority) groups in society is relevant and of interest to all of society, and a germane subject for discussion whether or not any individuals from any such group are a part of the discussion taking place.

Hold on, I've just discovered that I've got a copy of today's Guardian stuffed up my arrse
  10. Myself and Nehustan for a start.
  11. I'm not a Muslim, I'm afraid, if that's you're getting at. RC, old boy, in the lapsed fornicating way.

Though you don't have to be a Muslim to find the recurrent Muslim threads on the forum repetitive, ignorant and dull beyond belief.
  12. And that young pup Taz. Dunno anyone else.

Clarify "highlighting agendas".
  13. Couldn't agree more.