• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Muslim Youth Assoc starts Poppy Appeal

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
It means that amongst their own community some people may remember the large amount of Indian soldiers (of all faiths) who fought and died alongside us through two World wars, and will do justice to their memory.

Mav

Old-Salt
Good on em'... nice to see this type of thing reported on with national coverage.

This will mean that Mr and Mrs X of Netherhaven can sleep soundly in the knowledge that everything that the Mail tells them with gusto isn't necessarily true.

(To be fair though.. if they are bearded dusky types... they are probably suicidy explodey types an all..)
It is worth it for this alone

Anjeem Chowdry will be so ashamed of them and will excommunicate them from his religion. Ha ha! Nice one. There was a Royal British Legion stall outside Sunderland train station today. They had, in addition to the wooden cross poppies, crescent and 6-pointed star poppies, as well as another shape I wasn't sure of.

It means that amongst their own community some people may remember the large amount of Indian soldiers (of all faiths) who fought and died alongside us through two World wars, and will do justice to their memory.
I believe that the first plaque on the Menin Gate is full of Muslim names if I recall correctly.

What these bigots have to be reminded of is that when push came to shove, ALL religions and creeds coerced under 1 banner and helped rid the World of scum. Respect.

Re.: Poppies. TSO had a good point. She noticed that a lot of people have got those tin/enamel Poppies this year and said "You can bet after Sunday those tin Poppies will go in a drawer until next year and they won't have to buy another one for years." Good observation. (for once)

Re.: Poppies. TSO had a good point. She noticed that a lot of people have got those tin/enamel Poppies this year and said "You can bet after Sunday those tin Poppies will go in a drawer until next year and they won't have to buy another one for years." Good observation. (for once)
The Mem Sahib and I buy the tin ones with the year on them from the website. I suppose there will be those who keep the tin ones much as there will be people that keep the paper ones year on year.

Every year I also buy the Mem Sahib a poppy for her Pandora bracelet, last year they cost £10 each, this year they're £4.99 so she's getting two!

Unfortunately people do not always associate the ideology or remembrance with the reality of giving to the RBL.

Not necessarily, some of the enamelled ones now have a year indicated on them. I was poppy selling last weekend and a lot of people who put money in the tin didn't want a poppy as they already had one or were buying their second or third.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Not necessarily, some of the enamelled ones now have a year indicated on them. I was poppy selling last weekend and a lot of people who put money in the tin didn't want a poppy as they already had one or were buying their second or third.
My wife has one of them, but she has mislaid it this year, and as we are now living back in Scotland I find the Earl Haig poppies have a tendency to curl up and look pretty pooh (onto my third one already), not seen anybody selling them on the streets recently, had to wait until I took my mum to hospital to find a poppy tin and poppies (with those fucking pins I always jab myself with), sigh, it was much easier placing them behind my cap badge.

It would be nice to think that this movement might at least slow down the 'them and us' attitude between Muslims and the rest of the world. The cynic in me points out that where people get along there is no money to be made in legal fees, so I'm not very hopeful, but its a start I guess.

Just for a fleeting moment I thought "'ello, the Muslims flogging green poppies to remember their dead in various places" but I was wrong, well done all round then.

Latest Threads