Muslim Youth Assoc starts Poppy Appeal

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mav, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

BBC News - Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association starts poppy appeal

Working with the RBL, they're putting 100 volunteers across the country to raise money selling poppies and this isn't their first year - last year they raised £20k!

Fair play to them - I can imagine they could easily come in for some abuse from extremists.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Good on 'em.

I thought this was gonna be a thread about opium.
  3. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Maybe that's how they raised so much last year...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Good to see someone teaching the young ones what Remembrance is about.
  5. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

It means that amongst their own community some people may remember the large amount of Indian soldiers (of all faiths) who fought and died alongside us through two World wars, and will do justice to their memory.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

It is worth it for this alone
  7. Anjeem Chowdry will be so ashamed of them and will excommunicate them from his religion. Ha ha! Nice one. There was a Royal British Legion stall outside Sunderland train station today. They had, in addition to the wooden cross poppies, crescent and 6-pointed star poppies, as well as another shape I wasn't sure of.
  8. I believe that the first plaque on the Menin Gate is full of Muslim names if I recall correctly.
  9. Exactly and maybe some younger posters may not be aware of this.
    A picture from the Somme recent ARRSE battlefield tour.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 10
  10. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

• Like Like x 3
  11. What these bigots have to be reminded of is that when push came to shove, ALL religions and creeds coerced under 1 banner and helped rid the World of scum. Respect.
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Truly humbling until you see the bastard fought for France.
  13. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Re.: Poppies. TSO had a good point. She noticed that a lot of people have got those tin/enamel Poppies this year and said "You can bet after Sunday those tin Poppies will go in a drawer until next year and they won't have to buy another one for years." Good observation. (for once)
  14. The Mem Sahib and I buy the tin ones with the year on them from the website. I suppose there will be those who keep the tin ones much as there will be people that keep the paper ones year on year.

Every year I also buy the Mem Sahib a poppy for her Pandora bracelet, last year they cost £10 each, this year they're £4.99 so she's getting two!

Unfortunately people do not always associate the ideology or remembrance with the reality of giving to the RBL.
  15. Not necessarily, some of the enamelled ones now have a year indicated on them. I was poppy selling last weekend and a lot of people who put money in the tin didn't want a poppy as they already had one or were buying their second or third.