Muslim woman barred from flight for refusing body-scan.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Tellingraph

A Muslim woman is thought to have become the first passenger to be stopped from boarding a flight for refusing to go through a full body scanner because of religious reasons.

Civil liberties campaigners have criticised the scanners as an invasion of privacy

The passenger was at Manchester Airport for a flight to Islamabad when she was selected at random to pass through the controversial security screen.

She was warned she would not be allowed to board the Pakistan International Airlines flight if she did not comply with the request but she decided to forfeit her ticket and left her luggage at the airport.
Firstly, I want to say "whoopie doo, nice one, well done that airport!" There, said it.

Apart from that, anyone tempted to jangle their janglies whilst being scanned or better still, have an amusing item down their kecks in case they get called through, or is that just a bit childish?

Good. Well done airport staff.

Rodney2q

Good. Perhaps the other passengers could point out that it was their right to travel on a plane without having to worry about someone who had not gone through the appropriate security checks as they had done. Ah well, I', sure Luton is a great deal more pleasant than Pakistan in early March.

Headline should read that a passenger has not been boarded as they refused to be subjected to a search by security.

What has anything else got to do with it?

DarkNinja said:
Headline should read that a passenger has not been boarded as they refused to be subjected to a search by security.

Probably the neat circle of cause-and-effect .......

walt_of_the_walts said:
OldTimer said:
Why the hell was she allowed to leave her luggage at the airport ?? That sounds really suspicious .
So the baggage handlers can steal from it , stooopid! :D
Or send it to New York.

Oh, well ... it was inevitable, I guess. Didn't take long to happen, either!

I'm delighted that the airport held their ground; there's one Law for everyone in UK, regardless of race/colour/religion.

And now there's something else for the PC Brigade to whine about. :D

dropshortjock said:
Good. Perhaps the other passengers could point out that it was their right to travel on a plane without having to worry about someone who had not gone through the appropriate security checks as they had done. Ah well, I', sure Luton is a great deal more pleasant than Pakistan in early March.
Not so sure about that, have travelled through Luton and Karachi airports and the only difference appeared to be the number of Europeans, there were more in Karachi.

dropshortjock said:
Ah well, I', sure Luton is a great deal more pleasant than Pakistan in early March.
Are you sure that we're on the same page here?! I would prefer a cardboard box in a puddle than a mansion in bury park!

jarrod248 said:
Why though, were they allowed to leave? Surely they should have been arrested. I agree the fact the woman is a muslim has nothing to do with this.
Not convinced.

It's her right to refuse to be scanned, just as it's anyone's right not to get a passport or to carry ID (or 'papers'). So I wouldn't suggest that there's an immediate reason to arrest her.

It would however suggest that her luggage gets a good looking over with one of these and that a black omega parks outside her house for a couple of days.

blue-sophist said:
Oh, well ... it was inevitable, I guess. Didn't take long to happen, either!

I'm delighted that the airport held their ground; there's one Law for everyone in UK, regardless of race/colour/religion.

And now there's something else for the PC Brigade to whine about. :D
Could'nt agree more,

If the PC brigade have a more positive constructive alternatives (HO proven & tested) then instead of moaning about 'privacy' laws they should put their words into action :roll:

jarrod248 said:
Why though, were they allowed to leave? Surely they should have been arrested. I agree the fact the woman is a muslim has nothing to do with this.
Hang on, why should somebody be arrested if they refuse to go through the scanner. Are we now approving the arrest of anybody who doesn't sit up and beg like a good little citizen?

vampireuk said:
jarrod248 said:
Hang on, why should somebody be arrested if they refuse to go through the scanner. Are we now approving the arrest of anybody who doesn't sit up and beg like a good little citizen?
Perhaps because refusing to be searched in a secure area leads one to believe that they are actually up to no good/carrying. I am sure that the catch all act should have made it possible for her to be taken aside and given a strip search by a female team equipped for full body cavity search etc.

"I'm sorry Sir, we need to know every personal detail of your life, strip down naked and shake your testicles around to make sure nothing is hidden under them. Rumble through your luggage to prove it's not a bomb, open that sealed bottle of sprite to prove it is in fact sprite then not be allowed to take it as it's then an unsealed bottle. Give us your cash card and pin number along with your mothers maiden name and then be fisted by a man resembling a gorrila for ten minutes."

"Why?"

"I dunno, *shrugs* security?"

"Oh well in that case go right ahead"

cpunk

LE
Resurgam said:
I am sure that the catch all act should have made it possible for her to be taken aside and given a strip search by a female team equipped for full body cavity search etc.
Oooooooooh, I had to sit down and have a glass of cold water after reading that.

Back to the topic: tough sh1te.

DarkNinja said:

Good point, what's the betting the vast majority of fellow passengers (heading to Islamabad) who had already passed through the body-scan had also been of Muslim Faith themselves...

walt_of_the_walts said:
mistersoft said:
walt_of_the_walts said:
OldTimer said:
Why the hell was she allowed to leave her luggage at the airport ?? That sounds really suspicious .
So the baggage handlers can steal from it , stooopid! :D
Or send it to New York.
That reminds me of the parody of the first Concorde adverts.
'Breakfast in London, Lunch in New York, Luggage in Bangkok' :D
Do you think Old timer was thinking of that too WOTW?