Muslim Troops in AFG

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kitmarlowe, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else just seen the article on the 10pm News about Troops from the UAE in Afganistan? The Major being interviewed had been there, if I heard right, for two years. The UAE Troops appear to be doing a damm good job

2. I have just found out that there are troops from the UAE working in Afghanistan as part of the humanitarian effort.

although they are not part of the war fighting they have been targetted by Terry and have faught their way out of ambushes etc.

They are taking a different way of giving out aid to the locals, building mosques first and then schools etc after that.

Are there any other troops from the Mid East - and if not, why not?

3. Yeah just seen it myself. It goes on the same lines of the Gurkhas having a good rep in Afghanistan with the locals.
    They also seemed to be well equipped, but then UAE being the rich country it is, you shouldnt be surprised!

4. Yes I saw it - hence my thread. Mods, can You merge the muslim troops thread with this one please.

5. Threads already been done mate.

6. Yes, You just beat me to it - I've asked for my thread to be merged into Yours.

:D

7. 307

307 War Hero

Be all well and good if they didn't thin out during the night to go and defect to the Talibs and hand over all there kit, weapons and ammo to them wouldn't it.

8. What are the figures for this happening? A link would be nice too.

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

BBC: Muslim Troops Help Win Afghan Minds

I was surprised about the UAE troops requesting anonymity. Their OC was definitely a switched on bunny though, especially in controlling that potential food riot.

10. I really hate to agree with you sven (out of principle you understand), but I'd be interested in some sort of proof too.

Tubs

11. Muslim troops will by the nature of their religion be openly welcomed by fellow Islamics.
    However if they become required to get involved in a shooting war then I do consider that they would soon become suspect.
    I do not like to criticize other folks religious believes but sometime religion is ( on the ground) stronger then their government commitments ( on Paper)
    john

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Well according to the Beeb report, they'd fought their way through contacts in Helmand.

13. Apparently these troops have already had to defend themselves against considerable aggression

14. Here's a Beeb writeup on the News24 story