Muslim soldiers in the British Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dilfor, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When speaking about Muslims serving in the British Army we should remember that, probably, for the past 200 years or so (someone might correct me) there have been countless numbers of Sikhs, Muslims, and Indian forces of whatever religion that fought gallantly in both world wars. Monte Cassino a case in point. Also, as they are British citizens, are they not bound by the oath of allegience when joining and therefore due the respect whatever their religion? I had CE on my dogtags but I have never shown much interest in that and never had. Perhaps we should admire their commitment.

2. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The first British Indian Army Victoria Cross was a Moslem.

Khudadad Khan VC (20 October 1888 - 8 March 1971) was the first Indian recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. He was the first native-born Indian to win the VC. Khan later achieved the rank of subedar. Khudadad Khan hailed from village Dub in Chakwal District of the Punjab Province of present day Pakistan. He belonged to the famous Mair-Minhas, Muslim Rajput tribe of Punjab.

He was a 26-year old Sepoy in the 129th Duke of Connaught's Own Baluchis, Indian Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 31 October 1914 at Hollebeke, Belgium, Sepoy Khudadad Khan was in the machine-gun section of his battalion and was working one of the two guns. The British officer in charge of the detachment was wounded and the other gun was put out of action by a shell. Sepoy Khudadad Khan, although himself wounded, continued working his gun after all the other five men of the detachment had been killed. He was left by the enemy for dead, but later managed to crawl away and rejoin his unit.

3. Excellent article by a top bloke. It ought to put the scaremongerers back in their boxes and add a little context to all the ill-informed speculation about British Muslims.

4. Growler,

You're not wrong! I used to live very close to this memorial which I always found rather striking and used to visit when out running... Seems quite a few bigots are unaware of the sacrifices 'other religions' made for our freedom...

Then there were the battalions of Jews from the East End of London who fought very bravely too (one of whom went on to be the President of Israel)...

Tommy/Tomasina Atkins comes in all shapes, sizes, colours and religions and we forget this at our peril.

5. however dont forget there were thousands of Muslims serving in Hitlers Waffen SS in WW2 also

link

6. Jolly Good. Got links for Christians, Bhuddists, Shintoists and any other religions that have been represented on the Axis team?

Are you seriously suggetsing that this in some way reflects on those people mentioned in the posts above? :pissedoff:

7. Also don't forget that there were many blond and red headed Christians fighting for Adolf as well!! Including Protestants AND Christians!!!! Very sinister, mind you World Wars tend to get their name because they involve everybody

8. Really? learn something new everyday......... :D
    On that note was WW1 really a world war? Or is that for another thread altogether...