Muslim Headscarves and Uniform?

Just spotted this article on the Danish Home Guard Website:

http://www.hjv.dk/Nyheder/Sider/Medtoerklaedeogcbrn-maske.aspx

With scarves and CBRN mask
By Jeanette Serritzlev, 14 JUL 09
The traditional image of a young Muslim woman was challenged recently during basic training at Jægerspris. Maria Mawla is a new member of the Territorial Army, but differs from her comrades by wearing a headscarf under the usual headgear.

Totalforsvarsregion Copenhagen Christiansminde training centre in Jægerspris is for many the first meeting with the trials of military life.

The conditions are the same for everyone and the dress code is fixed. Almost. For one student stands out from the crowd. Not only because she is a very active participant in the classroom, but also because a headscarf sticks out from under her helmet.

DR2, parachuting and Home
Maria is 27 years old and born in Lebanon. She came to Denmark at four months old. She loves to break the mould and show that Muslim women are different from the veil they wear. She has traveled around a lot and was also a participant in DR2's program "Oraklerne", where various young, Muslim women discussed everyday challenges.

She studies at the University of Copenhagen, dreams of a doctoral fellowship, has made parachute jump(s?) and has just completed a diving course. She is a new member of the medical unit within Hærhjemmeværnsdistrikt Copenhagen City. And is in her own words - devout practicing Muslim and therefore wears her headscarf. As the first of its kind.

"I am an experiment," she laughs and says that after her participation in basic training they will evaluate the experiment with the handkerchief.

"There is apparently nothing like it in the inventory , so I have even bought the headscarf myself," she says, and shows how it is put together so it does not prevent the proper installation of CBRN mask with no risk of becoming caught in something.

I can translate the rest later if anyone's interested.

What do you reckon to this? Good thing? Bad thing?

Is it likely to increase the recruitment of minorities?

Would this be an advantage or disadvantage when deployed?

Any comments?

Cheers
T_T

Why on earth should she be allowed to wear it? It's not like a Sikh turban in that it forms a religious requirement? If a squaddie moans about (say) halal rations for Muslims, then there is at least a robust argument to defend it.

There's no real defence if someone moans about this, as it's quite simply special treatment.

If she's devout enough that she believes she has to wear a headscarf, isn't she also too devout to touch any male to rescue them or work with them?
Is she any practical use?- that's the real question

I have a problem with Halal and Kosher rations which are in conflict with animal welfare legislation due to the fact that the animals are not stunned before slaughter.

Being a firm believer in animal welfare, would it be a breach of my perfectly logical and sensible beliefs to handle these rations? Especially as the cruelty is inflicted as a result of superstition? I actually find the practice of ritual slaughter deeply cruel and offensive. Which illustrates perfectly why multi culturalism can never work, you always have to discriminate against someones beliefs.

There is no religious requirment for Muslims to wear headscarves as their not so good book merely states they must be dressed "ModestlY" unless someone can tell me different.

My opinion, if people don't like our culture and traditions, we shouldn't pander to them, we should tell them to find somewhere more in keeping with their superstitions.

What does she wear when swimming? If Western style, it makes a nonsense of her given reasons for wearing a headscarf. Even greater loss of what she thinks of as 'modesty' I would have thought.

Toasted_Giant said:
Why on earth should she be allowed to wear it? It's not like a Sikh turban in that it forms a religious requirement? If a squaddie moans about (say) halal rations for Muslims, then there is at least a robust argument to defend it.

There's no real defence if someone moans about this, as it's quite simply special treatment.
Not sure that the turban is a requirement, technically. The real ones are the 5 Ks: kesh (hair), kara (bangle), kanga (comb), kachcha (boxers) and kirpan (dagger) - the latter usually just a small representation set into the kanga, except for the SERIOUSLY orthodox.

But any Sikhs on the site may be better qualified to comment than me. Chardi Kala!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are a few girls around Gutersloh who could do with wearing a Burqa.

Oh dear, some muslima wants to join the Danish army and all and sundry turn into fcuking mullahs to tell her she shouldn't? These are the Muslims we should be welcoming, methinks...

And yes TCM, I do kill animals without stunning them first myself - with 30-06 - not a kashrut thing mind you...
Get a grip FFS.

para_medic said:
Oh dear, some muslima wants to join the Danish army and all and sundry turn into fcuking mullahs to tell her she shouldn't? These are the Muslims we should be welcoming, methinks...

And yes TCM, I do kill animals without stunning them first myself - with 30-06 - not a kashrut thing mind you...
Get a grip FFS.
I agree with TCM. Stop F'kin pandering to superstitious stupidity.

seems keen to be a member not demanding special treatment just to wear a headscarf not a massive problem.
think we have dpm hibjabs in stock anyway not sure anyone needs them probably why we have them in stock :twisted:

Seems to have her (be-scarfed) head screwed on and is keen to do her bit. Good for her, I say. I disagree with all religious nonsense and demanding of rights, but banning her from the forces that she is keen to serve in is not going to solve anything.

Hobo-Ken said:
Toasted_Giant said:

Not sure that the turban is a requirement, technically. The real ones are the 5 Ks: kesh (hair), kara (bangle), kanga (comb), kachcha (boxers) and kirpan (dagger) - the latter usually just a small representation set into the kanga, except for the SERIOUSLY orthodox.
You'll find they pick and choose what rules they want to follow to suit themselves.

brighton hippy said:
seems keen to be a member not demanding special treatment just to wear a headscarf not a massive problem.
think we have dpm hibjabs in stock anyway not sure anyone needs them probably why we have them in stock :twisted:
If everyone in the Danish army can wear them then it isn't special treatment if its because she is muslim then it is special treatment.

stacker1 said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Toasted_Giant said:

You'll find they pick and choose what rules they want to follow to suit themselves.
Indeed - the "no drinking" one often goes out the window quite quickly. Martial race though!

Hobo-Ken said:
Indeed - the "no drinking" one often goes out the window quite quickly. Martial race though!
5. Sikhs are a martial race, that they are a violent people.

The "martial race" theory is a colonial construct that was created and propagated by the British who recruited large numbers of so called "martial races," the Sikhs, Gurkhas, Rajputs, etc., for service in the British army. Sikhs by and large are a very hard working law abiding group. One of the pointers of a hard working community is the academic achievement of its younger generation. In England, the Sikhs along with the Chinese community are the highest academic achievers after the majority white population.

http://www.info-sikh.com/GoraPage2.html

Surely the whole point of any uniform is that it's uniform throughout the agency,organisation etc. issuing it?

stacker1 said:
Hobo-Ken said:
5. Sikhs are a martial race, that they are a violent people.

The "martial race" theory is a colonial construct that was created and propagated by the British who recruited large numbers of so called "martial races," the Sikhs, Gurkhas, Rajputs, etc., for service in the British army. Sikhs by and large are a very hard working law abiding group. One of the pointers of a hard working community is the academic achievement of its younger generation. In England, the Sikhs along with the Chinese community are the highest academic achievers after the majority white population.

http://www.info-sikh.com/GoraPage2.html
Actually for service in the Indian Army. Great soldiers, too, but as you say, Sikhs are also good at lots of other things. Sat Sri Akal!

kangorrilapig said:
Surely the whole point of any uniform is that it's uniform throughout the agency,organisation etc. issuing it?
Exactly.