Muslim dentist forced patient to wear Islamic headscarf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muslim dentist 'humiliated patient by forcing her to wear Islamic headscarf'

A Muslim dentist allegdly 'humiliated' a female patient by forcing her to wear an Islamic headscarf and ordering her to sit in the waiting room.

Omer Butt, 31, told the mum he would refuse to register her as an NHS patient if she did not cover her head, the General Dental Council (GDC) was told.

The woman, who is a non-practising muslim and works as an NHS community nurse, was in so much pain she agreed to borrow a headscarf from a nurse at Butt's clinic in Bury, Lancs, it is said.

But she stormed out of the surgery when Butt quoted Islamic religious texts at her and told her to sit in the waiting room with the headscarf on, the hearing was told.

One of the nurses is said to have warned the young woman - who is being referred to only as Patient A - that 'inside the surgery it is Dr Butt's world and his rules that apply'.

Following the woman's complaint, Butt wrote a letter to the GDC praising Allah and concluding: 'May Allah protect us all from the evils of Shaitan (Satan).'

Butt's younger brother, Hassan, was once a self-confessed former Islamic extremist who praised the September 11 attacks.
in full

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=483650&in_page_id=1770

armchair_jihad said:
Muslim dentist 'humiliated patient by forcing her to wear Islamic headscarf'

A Muslim dentist allegdly 'humiliated' a female patient by forcing her to wear an Islamic headscarf and ordering her to sit in the waiting room.

Omer Butt, 31, told the mum he would refuse to register her as an NHS patient if she did not cover her head, the General Dental Council (GDC) was told.

The woman, who is a non-practising muslim and works as an NHS community nurse, was in so much pain she agreed to borrow a headscarf from a nurse at Butt's clinic in Bury, Lancs, it is said.

But she stormed out of the surgery when Butt quoted Islamic religious texts at her and told her to sit in the waiting room with the headscarf on, the hearing was told.

One of the nurses is said to have warned the young woman - who is being referred to only as Patient A - that 'inside the surgery it is Dr Butt's world and his rules that apply'.

Following the woman's complaint, Butt wrote a letter to the GDC praising Allah and concluding: 'May Allah protect us all from the evils of Shaitan (Satan).'

Butt's younger brother, Hassan, was once a self-confessed former Islamic extremist who praised the September 11 attacks.
in full

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=483650&in_page_id=1770
And thus it starts. Definitely looks like you guys are gonna be first. If it was in the US that guys practice would most likely be in flames about now. (But of course investigated and prosicutred to the fullest extent of the law)

So she goes to another dentist and problem solved, right?

Man walks into a bar in London and is told he must wear a flat cap and sing Knees up Mother Brown. Man is outraged and in his fury walks out and goes to another pub.

Problem solved. I should work for the U.N.

Tears before, you are patently unaware of the current issues of dental provision in the NHS

I'd wear a gimp mask and sport a butt plug to find a local dentist with NHS space

DummyRound said:

Man walks into a bar in London and is told he must wear a flat cap and sing Knees up Mother Brown. Man is outraged and in his fury walks out and goes to another pub.

Is that a wind up?
Muslim woman goes to a dentist and is forced to wear a crucifix, western dress/whatever. No big deal right because there are other dentists?

This dentisit is forcing other people to alter their behaviour to conform with his/her religious POV before administering medical atention. The dentist should not be allowed to practice in te UK.

Perturbed said:
DummyRound said:

Is that a wind up?
Muslim woman goes to a dentist and is forced to wear a crucifix, western dress/whatever. No big deal right because there are other dentists?
This dentisit is forcing other people to alter their behaviour to conform with his/her religious POV before administering medical atention. The dentist should not be allowed to practice in te UK.
Difference being, is that the muslim woman would win in court, whereas the western woman is just laughed out of it

chimp503 said:
Perturbed said:
DummyRound said:

Is that a wind up?
Difference being, is that the muslim woman would win in court, whereas the western woman is just laughed out of it
Well TBH the muslim woman should win in court. That is only right. The law does apply to all citizens though?

Perturbed said:
Well TBH the muslim woman should win in court. That is only right. The law does apply to all citizens though?
That points not being denied, the fact that the other woman would be treated differently is the issue here. Dentists are in short supply, Injury lawyers are not.

Englishspringer said:
So, if this is accurate reporting, why has it not appeared on any of the TV News programmes?
Its in all the main broadsheets today, why don't you try reading them.

From the Times.
From The TimesSeptember 25, 2007

Muslim dentist ‘made patient cover her head’Russell Jenkins
A Muslim dentist insisted that a young woman wear an Islamic headscarf before he would agree to treat her for toothache, the General Dental Council was told yesterday.

The patient, a community nurse, alleges that she reluctantly told Omer Butt, 31, who runs a dental practice in Bury, Greater Manchester, that she was a nonpractising Muslim.

It is alleged that the dentist then told her that he would refuse to register her as an NHS patient if she did not cover her head. She was in so much pain that she agreed to borrow a scarf from a nurse at the clinic.

The panel was told that when the dentist, quoting the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, told her to wait in the waiting room, she felt so humiliated that she left the clinic and made a complaint about his behaviour.

Mr Butt denies the charge that he has undermined public confidence in his profession by discriminating against a patient and failing to act in her best interests. If found guilty of the charge by the council’s professional misconduct committee he could be struck off the register.

After learning of the charges laid against him, he wrote to the council praising Allah. He referred to the patient as his “sister” and concluded: “May Allah protect us all from the evils of Shaitan [Satan].”

John Snell, for the council, said that the woman, referred to as Patient A, went to see Mr Butt at his clinic in April, 2005.

Mr Snell said: “He asked her if she was a Muslim and she asked him why it mattered. He said he needed to know.”

The nurse allegedly told her: “Inside the surgery it is Mr Butt’s world and his rules that apply.”

Patient A told the hearing: “I did ask what would happen if I did not wear a headscarf and was told I would not be able to register there as a patient. I did feel that I was under duress.”

Andrew Hockton, defending the dentist, said that Mr Butt asked Muslim women to cover everything except their hands and faces “in order to protect his honour”.

The hearing continues.

Cow said:
Perturbed said:
That points not being denied, the fact that the other woman would be treated differently is the issue here. Dentists are in short supply, Injury lawyers are not.
Yes, quite. That is what I was trying to say. Somebody in a position of power tried to impose his religious POV onto another. The b-stad was refusing her medical treatment unless she complied. Strike the git off. No way should we tolerate this!

Perturbed said:
From the Times.
From The TimesSeptember 25, 2007

Muslim dentist ‘made patient cover her head’Russell Jenkins
A Muslim dentist insisted that a young woman wear an Islamic headscarf before he would agree to treat her for toothache, the General Dental Council was told yesterday.

The patient, a community nurse, alleges that she reluctantly told Omer Butt, 31, who runs a dental practice in Bury, Greater Manchester, that she was a nonpractising Muslim.

It is alleged that the dentist then told her that he would refuse to register her as an NHS patient if she did not cover her head. She was in so much pain that she agreed to borrow a scarf from a nurse at the clinic.

The panel was told that when the dentist, quoting the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, told her to wait in the waiting room, she felt so humiliated that she left the clinic and made a complaint about his behaviour.

Mr Butt denies the charge that he has undermined public confidence in his profession by discriminating against a patient and failing to act in her best interests. If found guilty of the charge by the council’s professional misconduct committee he could be struck off the register.

After learning of the charges laid against him, he wrote to the council praising Allah. He referred to the patient as his “sister” and concluded: “May Allah protect us all from the evils of Shaitan [Satan].”

John Snell, for the council, said that the woman, referred to as Patient A, went to see Mr Butt at his clinic in April, 2005.

Mr Snell said: “He asked her if she was a Muslim and she asked him why it mattered. He said he needed to know.”

The nurse allegedly told her: “Inside the surgery it is Mr Butt’s world and his rules that apply.”

Patient A told the hearing: “I did ask what would happen if I did not wear a headscarf and was told I would not be able to register there as a patient. I did feel that I was under duress.”

Andrew Hockton, defending the dentist, said that Mr Butt asked Muslim women to cover everything except their hands and faces “in order to protect his honour”.

The hearing continues.
Here we go again. The attitude of ONE dentist (and lets be honest, dentists not known for their social skills) in April 2005 is going to be the fault of
Labour
Islam
Tories
The World
PC Brigade
Garudianists
Bliar
Brown
Immigration
Underline all as appropriate
Thought I would get that out of the way before everyone started wading in
oh and forgot about the
This country doesn't make me proud
I'm out of here
Britain is in such a state
etc etc
that should save about 20 pages of hatred
What about GP's who don't believe in abortion counselling their patients not to have abortions because of their Christian beliefs?? Bastards! I blame Islam sorry, Christianity Sorry, Everyone!

Stephanie said:
Based purely on the fact he refused to treat her if she didnt comply he should be struck off. God help us if there are doctors working in the emergency units with his attitude.
There are some muslim Doctors who refuse to treat homo's, those with AIDS or STD's.

I must make an effort to find a muslim dentist who tries that "wear a headscarf" trick with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.