Muslim cleric cannot be deported says Strasborg.

Hardly an unexpected result was it.

Meanwhile the Yanks can have British person they claim to have broken their laws while not in the USA from us, yet we cannot get rid of a convicted terrorist.

The whole thing is barmey, except for one part. A lot of lawyers have just made a lot of money.

This is another example of the ECHR meddling in a countries affairs. This bloke is dangerous and should be got shot of.mmmmm I wonder.

"WHO WILL RID ME OF THIS TURBULENT CLERIC?"

Well it worked for Henry II

True.

But a broken clock is right twice a day...

Well I would climb aboard the bus, but the bastard bombed it.

If CMD has any balls, he'd tell the EC to do one and send his to Jordan anyway, but we know what will happen…=|

So a court in Strasborg has ruled against Britain deporting a Muslim cleric BACK to his native Jordan,where he's been convicted of terrorist offences,as it breaches his human rights...What about the human rights of the British public to feel safe in their own country without the threat from these nutters inciting violence & hatred!

BBC News - Abu Qatada wins Jordan deportation appeal

Radical cleric Abu Qatada has won his appeal against deportation from the UK to Jordan, at the European Court of Human Rights.

The judges accepted the UK's deal with Jordan to protect the cleric from abuse was sound.

But the court said he should not face trial for terrorism on evidence obtained by the torture of others.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the European judges' decision was "not the end of the road".

The British government can make a final appeal before the judgement becomes binding in three months' time. If it does not appeal, the cleric will have to be released from detention.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Having looked at the reported grounds for the decision, it isn't unreasonable and I'm rather comforted by the thought that our courts can't admit evidence obtained under torture. I'm all for this character spending the rest of his life as the prison bitch in a high security establishment but not by turning our legal system on its head.

So,,if this cleric is also wanted in the following,,

Algeria,,
Belgium,,
Spain,,
France,,
Germany,,
Italy,,
USA,,

Then why not deport him to one of these countries?...
The Yanks do not hesitate to have British Citizens extradited to the US so why not let them have him?...

Could the Mess Webley be signed out for a one off job?, just asking.

Could the Mess Webley be signed out for a one off job?, just asking.

Do you mean in the way that 'it was temporarily un-accounted for' the night Ulrike Meinhoff committed 'suicide', along with the rest of the gang?

Having looked at the reported grounds for the decision, it isn't unreasonable and I'm rather comforted by the thought that our courts can't admit evidence obtained under torture. I'm all for this character spending the rest of his life as the prison bitch in a high security establishment but not by turning our legal system on its head.
Agreed. I realise it infuriates the Daily Mail readers of the world, but to be effective, the law has to apply to all people equally. We can't have one rule for "us" and one for "them", because necessarily in the eyes of the law, there is no "them" or "us".

Much as I'd quite happily watch the **** torn apart by hungry rats, the laws protecting him are the same ones that would protect you or I or any other member of this site from a similar fate.

I'm happy to agree that we shouldn't be advocating torture in any way against any individual, even Abu Qatada. It is a can of worms for us though. On the face of it from what I've seen so far, this particular decision is based on the fact that evidence used against Abu Qatada may have been gained by torturing others to obtain that evidence.

On that basis, we won't be deporting anybody to anywhere that may be considered dodgy in any sense of the word. Even if we can obtain a guarantee that the person we want to deport won't be tortured, I can't see that there is much we can do to insist that those unfortunates who are already in prison in those places will not have torture used against them to obtain "evidence" to be used against the person we want to deport.

Clearly though, if Abu Qatada is considered a danger to the public and should be deported to ensure the safety of the public, what are we supposed to do? We do have due process and our law rightly says that we cannot keep people locked up without a trial by a jury of their peers, at least not indefinitely anyway. For the government, thanks to the European court, this is a rock and a hard place scenario.

Just how strong is the evidence against Abu Qatada. In Islamic terms, it's pretty hardcore. In his role as a cleric, He has issued rulings that it is lawful to kill apostates i.e. those who are not Muslim and he also ruled that the women and children of those apostates can be lawfully killed. Those rulings in a BBC report seem to relate to Algeria and Egypt but, Richard Read, the notorious shoe bomber who tried to kill hundreds on a trans-Atlantic flight and other notable terrorists have also sought advice and possibly some form of guidance from Abu Qatada.

There are others though who claim that Abu Qatada is innocent of any crime in Britain and is not a threat in any way. The Islamic satellite TV channel claim that he has no terrorist links and, Abu Qatada did make a video appeal to the Iraqi kidnappers of Professor Norman Kember and Kembers kidnapped friends for their release. Kember and his party were eventually released, all of them alive. An achievement in this day and age when the usual ugly result is a show death on a video camera. Whether that happy day was related to Abu Qatada's video appeal is debatable but the security services still insist that Abu Qatada is a significant security risk to this country.

What’s the solution then? Well, we have to comply with the law. There is no alternative to that. I think the only way forward is that we need a European wide agreement on what will happen in these circumstances. Britain cannot be the only part of the European Union that has this dilemma. I am unhappy to send a man to be tortured. Quite simply I wouldn’t do it and I am also unhappy that others may be tortured to gain their “confession” that he is guilty. I can’t do anything about that though, other than ask those states not to practise torture. I’m pretty certain however, they will just say, that’s none of your business, don’t interfere!

I would be especially unhappy though, horrified in fact, to have another bus or an underground train be blown to smithereens with a huge loss of life and horrendous injuries and of course on the international stage, terrorism is just as wrong and terrible as it is within our borders. Whatever the solution is, we had better sort it out sooner rather than later! In the meantime, Abu Qatada had better be kept under watch very closely. He could help though. He could issue calls, even rulings with his cleric’s hat on calling for a peaceful solution to problems. He could rule it’s wrong to kill people just because they are not Muslims and he could especially say, whatever our differences, leave the women and the kids alone.

BBC News - Abu Qatada wins Jordan deportation appeal

Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation to Jordan

AQ's principal mullah in the West, convicted of offences in Jordan.

and we're stuck with him.

Unfortunately its not just one alleged terrorist living on our generous welfare system and getting huge ammounts of cash in legal aid to pay the contemptible "umin rites" lawyers such as Shiner & Ms C Blair! There are loads of the scum here from all around the world, Chechnyans, Algerians, Egyptians, Palestinians you name a country and possibly one will pop up! All thanks to our ludicrous adherance to the "umin rites" crap, even one of Blairs former Ministers said so :- Being too PC led us to shelter terrorists, says ex-minister | News

However the biggest surprise to me was this..........

Shami Chakrabarti, director of the campaign group Liberty, called for Qatada to be put on trial in Britain.

"The court found that torture and evidence obtained that way is widespread in that country so it is clear that if Abu Qatada is to be tried for terrorism, this should happen in a British court without further delay," she said.

From today's Telegraph

However the biggest surprise to me was this..........

Shami Chakrabarti, director of the campaign group Liberty, called for Qatada to be put on trial in Britain.

"The court found that torture and evidence obtained that way is widespread in that country so it is clear that if Abu Qatada is to be tried for terrorism, this should happen in a British court without further delay," she said.

From today's Telegraph
Hardly surprising. The legal aid from that circus would keep a QC in sticky buns for a while....

Agreed. I realise it infuriates the Daily Mail readers of the world, but to be effective, the law has to apply to all people equally. We can't have one rule for "us" and one for "them", because necessarily in the eyes of the law, there is no "them" or "us".

Much as I'd quite happily watch the **** torn apart by hungry rats, the laws protecting him are the same ones that would protect you or I or any other member of this site from a similar fate.
No problem with equal treatment; 'You dont piss on our dead, we will try not to decapitate our prisoners.'

If he is not a UK citizen then away with him to the country of his birth. If he is the US can have him anyway.