Musician Recruiting

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Accidental_discharge, Apr 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question, my eldest, is just approaching the point of career decision time. He has expressed interest in joining the Army as a musician. He is a rather excellent Piper if I may say so myself. The issues being, he is primarily Canadian by birth, has an entitlement to a British passport. Now, how do the rules work regarding residence, and, do the Highland Regiments/ Bns. (please read as the RRS) in these days of cutbacks and austerity, still have Pipes and Drums? He is rather interested in the Black Watch, I have a number of ancestors with service in this Regt. both as Pipers and Jocks. Any advice would be more than welcome.
  2. The Black Watch are now 3 SCOTS.
  3. As many as that?!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Pipers are Pipers, and do feline torture and soldiering

Musicians are now Bandsmen, and do musical things and medical assistance things.

Drummers are Drummers or Fifers (really fluters), and do lots of odd things and soldiering.

If your boy can prove he's from Zimbabwe he might get into the Irish Guards.
  5. Aren't Drummmers part of Support coy, and provide SF gun capability?
  6. Still The Black Watch though, although I have heard that their recruiting area is now Fiji.
  7. Bandsman are now Musicians...

And all are trained in medical stuff and also they are getting amonst other skills... it may actually be they've given all the mdeical stuff up now.

The signals have a pipes and drums, but it is spread all over the shop.

RA have/had piples and drums but 40 regt ha sgone now. So unless they are maintained by the Highland Gunners (16AD?) i am not sure if hey still hav them.

The SDGs have a jolly good pipes and rdums too.
  8. Did you type this while sat at a bar? :)
  9. I had to finish the post before the flames hit my arrsehole.
  10. Yes, I can see that you were under considerable pressure towards the end. Well done.
  11. What's your excuse for emboldening the 'SDG' by the way?
  12. I may be mistaken, but ISTR they had a preference to having the 'Royal' bit included; at least, that was the message I got when they tried to train me in 78.
  13. Nah. They prefer the 'Royal' to be dropped... no idea why.

Although admittedly they usually expand the S to Scots.
  14. Thanks for the clarification - you've no idea just quite how much it means to me to be able to drop the 'R' in the event I should ever feel compelled to re-live those months of hardship. Thank you.
  15. But you have to add 'cots'