Musician Recruiting

Quick question, my eldest, is just approaching the point of career decision time. He has expressed interest in joining the Army as a musician. He is a rather excellent Piper if I may say so myself. The issues being, he is primarily Canadian by birth, has an entitlement to a British passport. Now, how do the rules work regarding residence, and, do the Highland Regiments/ Bns. (please read as the RRS) in these days of cutbacks and austerity, still have Pipes and Drums? He is rather interested in the Black Watch, I have a number of ancestors with service in this Regt. both as Pipers and Jocks. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Pipers are Pipers, and do feline torture and soldiering

Musicians are now Bandsmen, and do musical things and medical assistance things.

Drummers are Drummers or Fifers (really fluters), and do lots of odd things and soldiering.

If your boy can prove he's from Zimbabwe he might get into the Irish Guards.

Bandsman are now Musicians...

And all are trained in medical stuff and also they are getting amonst other skills... it may actually be they've given all the mdeical stuff up now.

The signals have a pipes and drums, but it is spread all over the shop.

RA have/had piples and drums but 40 regt ha sgone now. So unless they are maintained by the Highland Gunners (16AD?) i am not sure if hey still hav them.

The SDGs have a jolly good pipes and rdums too.

C

cloudbuster

Bandsman are now Musicians...

And all are trained in medical stuff and also they are getting amonst other skills... it may actually be they've given all the mdeical stuff up now.

The signals have a pipes and drums, but it is spread all over the shop.

RA have/had piples and drums but 40 regt ha sgone now. So unless they are maintained by the Highland Gunners (16AD?) i am not sure if hey still hav them.

The SDGs have a jolly good pipes and rdums too.
Did you type this while sat at a bar? :)

Nah. They prefer the 'Royal' to be dropped... no idea why.

Although admittedly they usually expand the S to Scots.

C

cloudbuster

Thanks for the clarification - you've no idea just quite how much it means to me to be able to drop the 'R' in the event I should ever feel compelled to re-live those months of hardship. Thank you.

Quick question, my eldest, is just approaching the point of career decision time. He has expressed interest in joining the Army as a musician. He is a rather excellent Piper if I may say so myself. The issues being, he is primarily Canadian by birth, has an entitlement to a British passport. Now, how do the rules work regarding residence, and, do the Highland Regiments/ Bns. (please read as the RRS) in these days of cutbacks and austerity, still have Pipes and Drums? He is rather interested in the Black Watch, I have a number of ancestors with service in this Regt. both as Pipers and Jocks. Any advice would be more than welcome.
Your son would be Welcome in the Black Watch as a piper.

Pipers are not classed as musicians in the British army, they are trained soldiers first. In the case of the Black Watch that means infantry, in my day we were the Bn's SF (Machine gun) Platoon, although also acting as a rifle platoon as well.

As a Canadian, you will be aware a lot of Scots regiments have Canadian versions.

Best bet is to approach the recruiting office and state his intentions early on, pipers are highly sought after in the Scots Bn's.

Fair chance of some tasty jobs if he does go Black Watch as they carry a very famous name and are a popular choice.

If he becomes a musician through the Corps of Army Music (CAMUS), he will be a flute player in sit down concerts and piccolo on marching band. Very rarely will he play the pipe. Infantry regiments on the other hand do have pipe players. My corporal in ph1 was from Royal Anglian and he's a pipe player but I don't know anyone in the CAMUS who's solely a pipe player.

I know you don't have to be British to join the Army as one of the principal flautists in the Guards is from South Africa, so your son may not need to acquire citizenship to join. See if this page can help you: Corps of Army Music - British Army Website

All the best.

As said first thing is to get his British passport before anything else, he shouldn't have any residency issues as its the more technical/communication type jobs that require Security clearance....secondly as said above if he is looking at joining one of the Scottish Regiments as a piper he is an INFANTRY soldier first so think of all the things this entails. If looking for CAMUS then he would have to be around Grade 7 or 8 in most cases and once he has completed ADSC selection would go on a seperate insight audition for them to say if he is at a good enough standard and if they require that particular instrument. I've seen expert players of instruments fail this audition if there musical theory side isnt top drawe so reading of music is very important aswell.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The NAAFI Bar 1
CardinalSin The Intelligence Cell 12
TankiesYank Films, Music and All Things Artsy 38