Music whilst running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Faustic, Dec 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys.

Do you feel that listening to music whilst running aids you or hinders you?
    I've heard things about metal etc being better for running as it has a naturally fast beat; and it also aids boredom.

If yes; earphone in 1 ear or both ears?

Just picky little things really as I get pretty bored when i'm running. Cheers.

2. Something upbeat is always good, gets you pumped and distracts you from your breathing.

3. Do a search, I asked the same question a while back, got some good advice

4. Cheers. I'll do that now.

And Matty, would you recommend something with an obvious fast beat or just death metal of some kind, lol.

5. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Running:

If you have an ipod, log into your account and search out tunes like "Running Man: Nike+ Origianal Run.

I find stuff like Paul Oakenfield good for long-distance running (anything with a hypnotic beat) and all the high energy, fast beat 'rave' type stuff for 5-10 kms. Best song for sprint training (400m or 800m fast as possible type stuff) - "We Come 1" by Faithless.

On the heavy side, I personally don't find metal to be good for running but it is excellent for weight training, especially if you are really pushing the limit on weights and or/reps. Best stuff for me, as suggestions, are bands like Chimaira, Lamb of God, Metallica (their early, very heavy stuff or the latest album "Death Magnetic"), Disturbed, Killswitch Engaged, Korn, Pantera, Megadeth, some Iron Maiden.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I've used the Nike stuff too and find that it works quite well for steady state runs, especially when I'm stuck on a bloody treadmill. Don't bother when outside as I have the mutt to run with and I like to hear the birdies tweet.

7. I catch up on the news (podcasts) and audio books when running.

It's not good for sprint work, something heavy is good for that, but for longer 6-8 milers, I find it quite useful.

8. I wish I could do that, but I use Marlyn Manson to distract me from blowing out of my arse, so I wouldn't get the hear the birdies over my breathless gasping anyway.

9. Definitely helped me.

10. dance and trance tends to do the trick for me, generally i like it when the tempo/bpm is about that of my running pace...really helps when you wanna push out all the stops at the end!

11. Gallows, Minor Threat, Queens of The Stone Age for tab/yomp,
    Basement Jaxx, Armand Van Helden ect for the gym !

12. complete Rocky Balboa selection

13. One of the best tunes for running I've found is Sandstorm by Darude