Music to go to war to...

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by HantsTiger, Oct 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just out of interest, if YOU had a huey with surfboards strapped to the bottom (vis a vis Apocalypse Now) and were heading out on ops, would Wagner really be your choice?? I think Fortunate Son by Creedance Clear Water Revival would be my preferred tune. Discuss.
  2. The Revolution Will Not be Televised - Gil Scott Heron would be my choice. If you haven't heard it before then track it down - I'll try to find a link.
  3. Didn't we do this thread?
  4. last year me and my crew crossed the breach on the 21st of march listening to 2 mins to midnight by maiden

then watched a iraqi pick up being vittled up with 5o cal by some of uncle sams finest in an amtrac

5. Wagner has his moments, I always liked the music from Excaliber. unsure what its called, very latin sounding name, its the bit where King Arthur gets his act back together and rides out for the final battle.
  6. Just managed to #ahem# download that Revolution Will Not Be Televised song on MP3. Cool.
  7. I've always imagined going in with the Birdie song on max volume after all you want the enemy confused.
  8. I think the music from Excalibur is Orff's 'Carmina Burana' - very much hairs on the back of the neck stuff.
  9. Ive always thought a key to music to this sort of occaision is irony - thus why that annoying awimbawe awimbawe The Lion Sleeps Tonight etc. song would be perfect - mad as a fish! Another good one i heard of a patrol playing in Iraq is that 'Where is the Love' by the Black Eyed Peas. Weird.
    Having said that, almost anything from the Vietnam era seems to work very well, not cos of the war, it just sounds kick arse.
  10. Agreed. What about one of William Shatner's songs such as 'Under My Skin'? 8O Better still, what about 'All Kinds of Everything', that well known Eurovision Song Contest winner by Dana from 1970? (or was it 1870?). Yeah baby!

Relating to this, a fellow I know from Northern Ireland likes to drive around his town on the weekend, when the place is being overrun by the local chavery, playing church music full blast from the aircraft engine type speakers in his car. God alone knows what the chavs make of him, or how he's still alive.
  11. The music from Boorman's Excalibur mentioned is O Fortuna from Carl Orffs Carmina Burana as Gallowglass said. However there is also some Wagner in the film too, notably the Overture from Tannhauser and the Funeral march from somewhere in the Ring.
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Didn't know Martin had made a movie......
  13. An indictable war crime under the Geneva Convention.
  14. that was Elton 'jam it up my hoop' John that did under my skin 8O :D
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Don't take the mick Ctauch, the poor old fruit's got a serious wasting disease now.

His PR folk claim it's some sort of metal poisoning.

Apparently they've found traces of mercury up his arrse......