Music that would be banned now

sguyw

LE
As I was listening to some 70's music I was listening to "Mungo Gerry - in The Summertime" and thought WTF, the Thought Police PC Brigade would ban this now with lyrics like :-

'You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal
If her daddy's poor just do what you feel
Speed along the lane
Do a ton or a ton an' twenty-five
When the sun goes down
You can make it, make it good in a lay-by'

What other song's would the PC Brigade ban from the 70's if they were released now ??

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
I'm still not quite sure why tracks that heavily feature the word 'nigga' are allowed now.

Presumably because it's said by people of the Black persuasion, so that's OK? But if that is the case, aren't we allowing one race to break the law when a white person would be arrested for doing the same thing? Surely that is racial discrimination?

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
'Oliver's Army' by Elvis Costello springs to mind. The BBC got all hot under the collar about the line 'One less white n***er' at one stage, even though the word was clearly being used as a reference for social class, not race.

I've noticed over recent months that the 'c' word, which was once the ultimate taboo, is starting to be used quite freely on TV and yet the 'n' word - at least when used by white people - can pretty much land you in jail.

Crazy world.

I bought a load of Lost Prophets CD's for shag-all the other day, bargain

I hear Oliver's Army every so often on UK radio and it's always uncensored. It always strikes me as the only song featuring the word 'n***er', however qualified, that you will hear uncensored on a mainstream station.

Rolling Stones and Brown Sugar would be my suggestion for a track unlikely to get past the PC setlist police.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I hear Oliver's Army every so often on UK radio and it's always uncensored. It always strikes me as the only song featuring the word 'n***er', however qualified, that you will hear uncensored on a mainstream station.

Rolling Stones and Brown Sugar would be my suggestion for a track unlikely to get past the PC setlist police.

It was reinstated but it didn't get airplay for a while.

It was reinstated but it didn't get airplay for a while.

I suppose the anti-military sentiment outweighed the naughty word usage. Still a cracking tune, though.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose the anti-military sentiment outweighed the naughty word usage. Still a cracking tune, though.

Yes, saw him live last year. He's still superb and his more recent albums are still fresh. Not bad for a bloke who's been going over three decades now.

I've often wondered if that's why it didn't stay banned - that he's a major, long-standing artist. It may have remained hidden away if he were, shall we say, a 'lesser' artist.

If you look up the song on youtube and read some of the comments, people get into a right old frenzy about whether it supports slavery or sexy brown women.....my moosus being part Nigerian/Part Guyanese doesn't get upset at all as she and most of those educated alongside her from those countries, know that other black tribes were as guilty as 'de white man' for the slave trade, but being a woman she manages to whinge like feck about most other things anyway.

Yes, saw him live last year. He's still superb and his more recent albums are still fresh. Not bad for a bloke who's been going over three decades now.

I've often wondered if that's why it didn't stay banned - that he's a major, long-standing artist. It may have remained hidden away if he were, shall we say, a 'lesser' artist.

He also had a song on one of his best of compilations about dancing on Maggie Thatcher's grave. 'Tramp the dirt down'. I like his music a lot, but that doesn't mean I agree with much of his politics.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing"

Always my favourite to sing at office karaoke parties.

Fairly comprehensive list of 'banned' or 'think carefully before playing' here

Quite a long list but has some interesting records and reasons...

Latest Threads