Music software

Hello all,

Bit of a strange one but I have been playing in various bands and jamming groups since getting out a couple of years ago, music is my life, everything from punk to garage, motown to stoner rock, I play a reasonable guitar, fair on piano and am a decent drummer, however! I'm due out on the anti-piracy circuit in 6 weeks for my first job and a pal who has finished his first transit has flagged up how ultra boring it can be, especially on your 'down time'.
I have done the usual,ie, bought an external hard drive and stuffed it full of grot and a couple of hundred films, my ipod is bursting at the seams as well and I've a few books to get stuck into but I fancy playing around with music software, the sort of stuff that you can play about with and effectively make music, samples, ect. I've got a powerful and very capable laptop so anyone used anything like this? Any suggestions?

(also, is it possible to sample my guitar/piano/drums then transpose that to a music programme or format?)

Hope it makes a medium of sense!

Ta !

Jonny

P

PrinceAlbert

I used to mess about with a hooky copy of Cakewalk SONAR, Cubase, and Juicy loop (?)

They're all pretty good. they allow you to set up a stack, sample mp3s, input live music. They're all professional software. I've no idea how much they cost new.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I need an Agent for a band in Essex or London , they are made up with blokes from famous bands from 70's and 80's could you pm if you have some advice please troops ? many thanks .

Cubase seems to be the standard, but I would also recommend Cool Pro 2.

If you have a Macbook, Logic Pro is good and not dear to download from Apple Store. I have done some stuff with Audacity which I like. Pro tools seems to be the professional weapon of choice and runs under Windows but is expensive. Be worth getting a usb midi keyboard if you haven't got one or a DI breakout box to plug a guitar in...

If you have a Macbook, Logic Pro is good and not dear to download from Apple Store. I have done some stuff with Audacity which I like. Pro tools seems to be the professional weapon of choice and runs under Windows but is expensive. Be worth getting a usb midi keyboard if you haven't got one or a DI breakout box to plug a guitar in...
Might be a bit tricky to get a guitar on board but cheers pal.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Ableton Live. I have used Cubase and a lot of other s/ware, but Ableton ranks No1 for me. Not cheap though! Would definitely get a midi kb, makes it so much easier to input.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I need an Agent for a band in Essex or London , they are made up with blokes from famous bands from 70's and 80's could you pm if you have some advice please troops ? many thanks .
Try Livenation, or any of the subsidiary companies of EMI. Not easy to get an agent, but good luck!

Propellerheads Reason 6. Record, mix, DSP and production. Awesome bit of kit.
Sent from my M701C using Tapatalk 2
Good bit of advice. If you've not been into this sort of software before, Cubase can be a bit daunting. Reason is definitely user-friendly and has one of the most helpful websites ever.