Music For Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by wotan, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This, truly, is a serious post, so please, bear with me. No BS, just help please.

As I am the President of my local Royal Canadian Legion Branch, I will be attending to the ceremonies on 11 Nov 06. Obviously, I want the proper respects to be shown to our fallen. However, there comes a time in the wreath-laying ceremonies where the music needs to fill in for the commentator for the number of people laying wreaths. I believe that (and I am most certainly open to correction) TheLordFlashheart some years ago recommended Elgar's "Nimrod". To this day that tune is a soft point for me, albeit I had never heard it before Flashy mentioned it. If any others would be willing to recommend suitable music for the laying of wreaths at a cenotaph, I would be truly grateful. Thanks in advance and thanks to those many British citizens (along with all allied soldiers) that helped to secure my freedom. I am truly grateful and only wish to help my Legion Branch show the proper amount of respect during our ceremonies.

2. GREEN FIELDS OF FRANCE

3. Normally, things like:
    Nimrod, Elgar
    Dido's Lament, Purcell
    Royal British Legion March
    As you wish really, just keep it solemn.

Flowers of the Forest is always very stirring too,especially if you have a piper to hand.

4. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

If you are searching I can e mail you some likely Music.

5. Off to hunt down info on a CD for this purpose, Grenadier Band methinks. Includes calls.

Wait

Out

Aha - ordering site for Irish Guards, you'll probably get this most good CD outlets.

Aternatively, buy double CD with vocal stuff.

I haven't listened to either so can't recommend either, you might get both and then you've covered all bases. Whatever you get, worth feedback on this thread for others in your position.

6. Nimrod is usually the winner, followed up by Barber's Adagio.

However, as the latter was used in the film Platoon, you'd probably want to get a proper classical version to make clear you're not taking the mickey.

Jerusalem (use the tune only, without the words) is pretty good as well.

If you can find a slow version (or get a band to play slowly), Dvorjak's New World symphony is good, but you need to pick a suitable section. We know it over here as the "Hovis Tune", but if it hasn't been abused by the advertisers, it's a good piece.

Lastly, again if you find a slow version, Danny Boy is hackneyed but I think it's suitable.

All the above have been used at Armistice Day services I've attended, usually played on a church organ, and all sounded appropriate in that setting.

I'm sure that whatever you pick will be very well received.

Kind regards

FB

7. I Vow To Thee My Country, the first verse was actually written to remember the sacrifice of WW1.

8. "Flowers of the Forest" on Bagpipes (the more the better). Guaranteed to send a chill down the most hardened spine!

9. Green Fields of France

The lyrics to that are stunning, possibly not ideal for playing during a wreath laying though.

10. Henryk Gуrecki, Symphony No.3, `Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs`, Second Movement (tranquilissimo)

simply haunting!

preview here:

http://music.allofmp3.com/r2/In_Classical_Mood_(CD_Series)/Vol__43_-_The_Thunder_Of_War/group_4576/album_39/song_9/albref_29/preview.shtml

11. (my bold)

I know this isn't really the thread for it, however I would like to reciprocate the sentiment. The efforts and courage of the Canadian and allied service personnel and civilians who fought and worked so hard for our freedom is greatly appreciated and has not and will not be forgotten. Hearing about the individuals who volunteered, especially before official involvement of their governments, was and is a source of great inspiration for me. They were better men than me.

In a local book shop here in the UK, I found a book published shortly after WWI. It was a collection of poems, cartoons and songs from the Canadians who fought in Europe. It was somewhat dog-eared and water damaged, but it was very interesting and moving. I gave it to a Canadian friend a couple or years ago as he had served in the Canadian military. I am not guaranteeing that any of it will be useful to you, but PM me if you want his contact details so you can see for yourself.

Ski.

12. See if one of your local choirs can rehearse and perform Agnus Dei, the vocal version of Barber's Adaggio for Strings. One of the most haunting things you'll ever hear.

13. Maybe Largo and Finale? I can't remember who it was written by, I'm thinking handel. It's two parts, the first slow and sombre, the second happy and juilant. Obviously you'll be wanting the slow and sombre bit (Largo).

If it's played well by a really good brass band, it can bring a tear to anyones eye.

14. Thanks to all, greatly appreciated. I definitely have some fantastic suggestions to listen to and my Executive Committee will make the final decisions. Again, many thanks.

15. Nimrod is THE quintessential tune...especially when played by the RM Band in Whitehall. Damn it, I ALWAYS get something in my eye then...uncanny.