Musharraf tells critics to quit crying and pimps memoir

From Globe and Mail
Remarks on Canadian criticisms

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf lashed out at critics of his government's anti-terror credentials yesterday, noting that his army has suffered hundreds of casualties while Canadians "cry and shout" when a few of their soldiers die................

...."We have suffered 500 casualties, Canadians may have suffered four or five," he said in the interview broadcast last night. "You suffer two dead and there's a cry and shout all around the base that there are coffins. Well, we've had 500 coffins."
Remarks on Karzai

Gen. Musharraf and Afghan President Hamid Karzai have been publicly trading blame over the failure to capture Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders believed to be hiding out in their mountainous border.

"I think [Mr. Karzai] is purposely not speaking the truth," the Pakistani leader told CTV's Canada AM. "He is finding [it] more convenient for himself to hide the truth and cast all aspersions on Pakistan."
and on British criticisms

Gen. Musharraf also showed a combative side when asked about criticism from British officers that Pakistan should do more to turn off covert assistance to the Taliban in neighbouring Afghanistan.

"Who in the British? Who said that?" he responded during the interview in New York. "Some old major or lieutenant-colonel comes up with this statement . . . they don't know anything. I'm afraid they don't understand the environment. They are very new, this is a very complex environment
All that while at same time pimping his book on every outlet possible!
Not too sure that I agree with what he has to say but sure has got chutzpah.

From the WP

The president of Pakistan has been in the United States lately to discuss matters of global importance and -- in his spare time -- to flog a memoir. Last night he appeared on Comedy Central's "Daily Show" with Jon Stewart, where he demonstrated both a sense of humor and a deep desire to sell "In the Line of Fire," which, incidentally, is now available on Amazon.com for the low, low price of $16.80, plus shipping and handling.

Gen. Musharraf also showed a combative side when asked about criticism from British officers that Pakistan should do more to turn off covert assistance to the Taliban in neighbouring Afghanistan.

"Who in the British? Who said that?" he responded during the interview in New York. "Some old major or lieutenant-colonel comes up with this statement . . . they don't know anything. I'm afraid they don't understand the environment. They are very new, this is a very complex environment
The politics may be changed but it a very old story. The major difference being that we are attacking from the other side of the hill this centuary.

From Reuters - Daily Show clip with Musharraf
Sep. 26 - Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf was served tea and Twinkies as the first head of state to appear on "The Daily Show," a hit U.S. political satire show.

Musharraf, making the U.S. media rounds to promote his autobiography, and the host Jon Stewart talked of the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden as well as who would win a Pakistani popularity contest; Osama or George W.
This show should be on More 4 tonight @ 8.30

castlereagh said:
From Reuters - Daily Show clip with Musharraf
Sep. 26 - Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf was served tea and Twinkies as the first head of state to appear on "The Daily Show," a hit U.S. political satire show.

Musharraf, making the U.S. media rounds to promote his autobiography, and the host Jon Stewart talked of the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden as well as who would win a Pakistani popularity contest; Osama or George W.
This show should be on More 4 tonight @ 8.30
Bugger

I had an arguement with Sky and now I can't get More4

Will you be buying his book,Castlereagh?

castlereagh said:
tomahawk6 said:
Maybe he is getting ready to retire ?
Nah, he's going to contest the 2007 election.

Or do you mean he will be retiring whether he likes it or not! 8O

Perhaps a certain somebody will threaten to bomb his country into the stoneage if He doesn't :D

razorman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wvbX53AMw

Mush on the daily show with Jon Stewart :twisted:

Where's my free copy, castlereagh? :(
Dunno, you musn't be on the Musharraf's special friends list, I come in between Mullah Omar and Colin Powell. :wink:

castlereagh said:
Random_Task said:
Nope, had a freebie copy given to me.

edited to add: oh I understand you think I am pimping!
Oh I'm not that cynical, honest! :wink:

Is it worth reading? I mean is it the sort of book that's so good you even read it sat on the throne?!

Random_Task said:
castlereagh said:
Random_Task said:
Nope, had a freebie copy given to me.

edited to add: oh I understand you think I am pimping!
Oh I'm not that cynical, honest! :wink:

Is it worth reading? I mean is it the sort of book that's so good you even read it sat on the throne?!
Well given that it is number 3 in the Amazon Charts and number 13 in the UK chart, I think we can say that this is a special book by a special dictator! :wink:

Seriously though, the book is fine, the fact that Pakistan is such a basket case means that, the parts about his life are rather slow and pedestrian imho. The best parts of the book deals with his life in the Pakistani army and government. It is an excellent insight into a certain strata of Pakistani thinking (which ignored by the west) and gives a much needed Pakistani perspective on issues such as the governance of Pakistan and it's history, Pakistan's position the world, TWOT, AQ Khan and of course relations with India. If anything the book is cert for reading lists next year. So not bad for the third best ever dictator of Pakistan!

razorman said:
"So not bad for the third best ever dictator of Pakistan!"

Ayub Khan and .... who?
Yahya Khan, yes he may not have been a sukhi roti and dhal type of leader but he was a good dictator and so scores highly!

I just like the dude

(Posted the original in the wrong place) but in response to Lanky below - pretty sure it is the natural henna wash (ginger/brown) that is favoured by certain older Pakistani gents.