Musharraf resigns

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by thegimp, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How is this going to effect "The great game" I wonder :?:

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Nice to see a politician actually resign rather than brazen it out throughout a court case.

Scary that his job is vacant, given his support for the West and the limited success that's had in taming the Al Quaida training camps / recruitment in the 'tribal areas'.

I don't know who the contenders are, but imagine that it won't get any easier to deal with, whoever gets the job.

Just my 5p worth.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Interesting times ahead, i wonder who will end up in the post? The potential is there for disaster considering they have nuclear weapons.

4. I give it 5 years max before the next military coup.

5. The same could be said by the rest of the world, given the chimps in charge of both the US & UK nuclear arsenals! ;)

6. Looks like he'll be scarpering the country, aparently he's not a popular chap in Pakistan

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

That long, you must be an optimist. :twisted:

8. If he moved anywhere near here, he'd spark riots.

The unwavering support for him and the absolute hatred of him is about equal. From my memory , and Castlereagh may confirm or deny this, he effectively deported a lot of his countrymen around a dam project , who ended up here.Unfortunately, these are the ignorant, year zero Pakistanis, many of whom use the local mosque, and are shunned by a lot of the more established Pakistani population.

Amongst the Punjabi middle class on the other hand, he is something of a hero.

Personally, I think he'll go to the States.

My one fear, is if the hardline Islamics will now make their play for the top seats. No doubt that is India's fear too.

9. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IG

10. Saudi is on the cards

11. Seconded. A hardline Islamic State with Nukes; just what we need, because the times are not "interesting" enough... :roll:

12. Military Coup in the next 18 months is my money.

Musharraf was undermined by the west - the support for the Mayor of Kabul (like he really was elected in a real democratic election). Real democracies take at least half a century to develop at and does help if most of the country is the 19th century at least. But certain centres in the west are so fixated by inked fingers, they just think that a supposed election will solve everything! Never mind that fact that Musharraf did actually win a fair plebiscite. Still Musharraf should have been firmer with his opponents - no would have been celebrating the return Nawaz Sharif, if he had done the decent thing and hung him. Also before any jumps on the Outrage Bus - Saddam Hussain, any one?

I think if a fair immunity deal cannot be agreed on, then expect Musharraf to suddenly reappear in Dubai one morning and a lecture tour in the states the following month. Musharraf was too good for the country and his achievements are actually discernible unlike those elected demagogues like Sharif and Bhutto. The civilian government will not be able to control the ISI and the game in Afghanistan will continue, there is no government whether it's makeup that can accept an Afghanistan under Indian strategic influence and no amount of Western pressure can change that.

Musharraf at the end was a victim of the mob, when times were good he were popular and when they became a little harder (look at the price of flour) he became more unpopular. Remember after his take over for six years or so the supposed forces of democracy in Pakistan could not do anything apart from moan to the west.

13. Actually I would have to stay apart from the London lot, i.e. too rich to live in the country, the actual diaspora would welcome him.

The only dam project that I can think off is the Kalabagh Dam project but has more to do with fears of Punjab dominance but there has been no real shift in population over it IRC! Could be wrong, the real migration from Pakistan to the UK has been Mirpuris and NWFP types, rural as hell and well not too bright.

On the Islamics, have no real fear over them, the democratic party will fight it out for the pious vote, they always do. So there will actions that will be Islamic enough to stop the nutters, the real trouble will come from internal separatists buoyed the fall of a centralist government.

14. It probably will be Saudi. they seem to give succour to Muslim leaders with blood on their hands.... Idi Amin Dada and his family?