Museums (London, elsewHere?)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wallace Collection is a much overlooked London gem

man_in_blue

Old-Salt
What, "how not to do it?"
More or less, yes. But since I was already skating on thin ice with my 'outdated' attitude toward museums I opted for the much safer approach of looking at how national museums in post colonial countries are used to push an acceptable narrative of state formation on the gullible masses...

More or less, yes. But since I was already skating on thin ice with my 'outdated' attitude toward museums I opted for the much safer approach of looking at how national museums in post colonial countries are used to push an acceptable narrative of state formation on the gullible masses...
An Interesting counterpoint to the surrealism of the underlying metaphor.

Along with all of the previously mentioned places in Portsmouth try the Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson which has the added advantage of being free. Also try the Submarine Museum at Gosport. The last time that I was there they had the periscope from HMS Conqueror and you were able to actually use it - there's nothing like real, hands on history.

If you're doing Kent, try Dover Castle. You actually end up inside the White Cliffs of Dover. And there is a pretty good aviation museum at Tangmere in Sussex, and I'm not just saying that because they have a fairly good display on the post war ROC.

Being a Dorset resident I would heartily recommend Bovington but it is in the middle of nowhere. There is a place next door that has been on the telly quite a bit but despite its name has nothing to do with the RMP - Monkey World.
Seconded on the Submarine Museum, although its a while since I was there.

Karamoja

Old-Salt
I went to the Imperial War museum in the summer and wasn't impressed. Too much reliance on video I thought. Also going round one would have to conclude that wars only started with the First World War, no exhibits about any earlier wars, nothing on the Napoleonic wars, nothing on the Victorian wars and the African campaigns, perhaps the latter are too politically incorrect. They seem to have forgotten that the word Imperial in their title means Empire and they should have exhibits from all the significant campaigns carried out by the British during that era. I got the impression they are trying too hard to be "woke". I should have spent the time on a visit to HMS Belfast instead.

It's been surpassed by the NAM, which I had the misfortune to visit just before Christmas... :roll:
That's a bold statement.. I've never been to the NAM so no idea how its changed. I mean lets not forget the IWM took out a floor to reduce its display space, and then filled that with a Press land rover and the remains of a car IED. Instead of all the guns, missiles planes and tanks they had before.

That's a bold statement.. I've never been to the NAM so no idea how its changed. I mean lets not forget the IWM took out a floor to reduce its display space, and then filled that with a Press land rover and the remains of a car IED. Instead of all the guns, missiles planes and tanks they had before.
Yep, much the same, except with a far greater reduction in the amount of stuff on display than even the IWM managed to achieve. I'd also bring your own lighting in order to be able to see Siborne's Waterloo model (the NAM seem to think that Waterloo was a night battle).

DAS

Old-Salt
Wallace Collection is a much overlooked London gem
Never heard of that one before. In my places to visit list for my next time over. Thanks.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
IWM is a little dry and overly heavy on history so might get boring for a teenager. Personally, I'd recommend Bovington tank museum and/or the series of museums in Gosport, Portsmouth and Southsea Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

I am very biased, but I love the Submarine museum in Gosport :)

Londo

LE
Yes had forgotten about that sub .
Have actually been on board for a visit quite a few years ago when she was first brought to the country and moored on the Thames within spitting distance of the Thames barrier .
Looked very primitive on board compared to our 'O' boats of around the same time .

I assume the OPs request is primarily for military museums.

You could make a day out and go to the Aldershot/Ash area where there is the:
  • Parachute Regiment Museum (Might be “Airborne Assault” now)
  • RLC Museum Of Warehousing & Shelving at Deepcut
  • QARANC Museum at Ash ((might be “AMS” Museum now). No buses.
  • Aldershot Museum
There was the Surrey Regiment museum at Clandon House but it might be shut as the house burned up.

Also the military cemeteries at Brookwood (to show the kids where they might end up).

I assume the OPs request is primarily for military museums.

You could make a day out and go to the Aldershot/Ash area where there is the:
  • Parachute Regiment Museum (Might be “Airborne Assault” now)
  • RLC Museum Of Warehousing & Shelving at Deepcut
  • QARANC Museum at Ash ((might be “AMS” Museum now). No buses.
  • Aldershot Museum
There was the Surrey Regiment museum at Clandon House but it might be shut as the house burned up.

Also the military cemeteries at Brookwood (to show the kids where they might end up).
The Airborne Forces Museum at Aldershot closed a few years ago. It was replaced by Airborne Assault at IWM Duxford. I loved the former whereas the latter just doesn't have enough space to do it justice.

I was going to say that the Aldershot Military Museum had shut as well, as the last time that I was there they were looking at closing it. However I have just looked it up and it is still up and running.

The Airborne Forces Museum at Aldershot closed a few years ago. It was replaced by Airborne Assault at IWM Duxford. I loved the former whereas the latter just doesn't have enough space to do it justice.

I was going to say that the Aldershot Military Museum had shut as well, as the last time that I was there they were looking at closing it. However I have just looked it up and it is still up and running.
Thanks for the update. I moved away from the area a few years ago so obviously there have been changes.

My daughters were never much impressed with being dragged around military museums but they were amazed at the parachuting dog.

Perhaps not useful for the teenager (because its in Leeds) but I enjoyed The Royal Armouries in Leeds.

Latest Threads