Museums (London, elsewHere?)

A friend of mines 14/15 year old is interested in joining the army/navy in Ireland and she wants to bring him to visit a few museums.

she mentioned London so I said Imperial War Museum, HMS Belfast, Churchill War Rooms.... anywhere else suitable for that age Group in London?

I remember going to the National War Museum around the same age and being bored to tears by paintings and uniforms from the year dot.

any recommendations?

The only place I know apart outside London is Bovington (never been but looks good) but looking for somewhere with a few in close proximity.

RM Museum in Southsea, Portsmouth.

Closer to London than Bovington
Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

National Army Museum in Chelsea has had a revamp recently will probably appeal to a youth now
if willing to travel Royal Engineers Museum in Kent is well wort a visit

National Army Museum in Chelsea has had a revamp recently will probably appeal to a youth now
if willing to travel Royal Engineers Museum in Kent is well wort a visit
I’d second Chatham. An hours train ride from London. Royal Dockyard, RE Museum, Fort Amherst, Rochester Castle and cathedral all within walking distance.

DAS

Old-Salt
If just London / Greater London then defo RAF museum Hendon, Imperial War Museum (a must I think) and others as mentioned above.

IWM Duxford, Royal Armouries Leeds, Bovington Tank Museum, RE Museum Chatham, Museum of Army Flying Worthy Down, Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton, The Shuttleworth Collection, Muckleburgh Tank Museum Norfolk. just a few

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
IWM Duxford is a good place.:boogie:

Navy:
Agree with Chatham above, the historic dockyard is also there (film set for Get the Midwife, or whatever is called)
Also Portsmouth Historic Dock yard (granted that that is not London) but lots to do there, a day will not be enough. All facets of RN covered (but thin on FAA) from Mary Rose to modern. You can see the carriers over the fence, if they are in.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Shuttleworth Collection of Historic Aircraft and Vehicles in Old Warden just off the A1, 40 miles north of London. About 70 aircraft and over 100 vehicles. Everything with wings flies and everything with wheels is driven regularly. Easy to get to, good restaurant and loads to see. You can even go in the Engineering Workshop to see aircraft and vehicles undergoing work. Have a look at their website.

Along with all of the previously mentioned places in Portsmouth try the Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson which has the added advantage of being free. Also try the Submarine Museum at Gosport. The last time that I was there they had the periscope from HMS Conqueror and you were able to actually use it - there's nothing like real, hands on history.

If you're doing Kent, try Dover Castle. You actually end up inside the White Cliffs of Dover. And there is a pretty good aviation museum at Tangmere in Sussex, and I'm not just saying that because they have a fairly good display on the post war ROC.

Being a Dorset resident I would heartily recommend Bovington but it is in the middle of nowhere. There is a place next door that has been on the telly quite a bit but despite its name has nothing to do with the RMP - Monkey World.

Being a Dorset resident I would heartily recommend Bovington but it is in the middle of nowhere. There is a place next door that has been on the telly quite a bit but despite its name has nothing to do with the RMP - Monkey World.
Could also inspire with a detour to Cloud's Hill as well.

ugly

LE
Don’t go in winter the monkeys don’t do cold

IWM Duxford, Royal Armouries Leeds, Bovington Tank Museum, RE Museum Chatham, Museum of Army Flying Worthy Down, Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton, The Shuttleworth Collection, Muckleburgh Tank Museum Norfolk. just a few
I'll second Yeovilton, but I'm biased because I got to sit in a Sea Harrier when I went there as a Sea Cadet.

They're ******* tiny!

Edit: the usual!

Last edited: