Muscle Wastage

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by weejones, Dec 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How much muscle wastage happens on phases 2 and p coy? just from what I've seen most look scrawny after finishing the full training.I know this might be to do with the poor quality food offered to recruits or is just down to the over training that happens.
  2. I don't think its poor quality food mate.

Its the high intensity cardio training that burns so many calories your body uses up all glycogen and fat stores and evetually turns to muscle for energy.
  3. When was the last time you ate in an Aramark/Sodexho managed cookhouse? :D
    Can't fault the last part though.
  4. I cant think why on earth you would loose muscle mass during any training phase, I think you are confusing lard loss with muscle loss.
  5. :D You've got me on that one I can't speak from experience of food quality in the majority of cookhouses.

I have only experience the food at Litchfield and the Royal Welsh 1st Batallion barracks in Chester and it was very good.
  6. Thats not true high intensity work burns lean muscle mass first,where as low intensity is what burns fat, which is why i would say recruits at the end as so burned out.

have the army ever updated there training ideas,i know there field craft training seems to still come from the cold war stuff
  7. What phase are you in at the moment?
  8. I think you will find the human body will turn to muscle glycogen first not muscle tissue itself...

Once the glycogen levels are low the body will burn fat as there is more energy stored there and eventually muscle tissue will be used as an emergency energy source.
  9. Who was that question aimed at?

If it was myself,

I am going to Catterick in March to start my training.
  10. It's not true,ask any sports nutritionist

heres a quote
    "working out very hard 90min spinning sessions my body was stressed. My body didn't know i wanted it to burn fat, it just thought i was over working and therefore tried to protect itself. It burnt muscle instead of fat as muscle uses a lot more calories to live than fat does. my body actually slowed my metabolism and stored all the fat possible as it assumed that i was being overworked and underfeed so it went into starvation mode."

so basically if you do cardio for too long or push your body to hard it will burn muscle to save your vital fat stores. The best way to burn fat is to work your body out at around 55-70%,and not pushing yourself till you cant breath.
  11. I could google hunders of quotes to prove you wrong mate but I'm not too bothered.

Can't be arssed getting into a debate.

We'll agree to dissagree on this one :)
  12. Weejones, whatever excuse you are looking for, to acknowledge your failure, it is the correct one.

Otherwise, get out there and deal with it.
  13. I lost over a stone of muscle on P-Coy and a lot of strength, but I regained it within a couple of months hard graft at the gym. I shouldn't bother worrying about it mate, just concentrate on completing training, and think about that stuff when your in your unit.
  14. You can't actually "lose" muscle, since muscle cells are fixed in number and only increase (or decrease) in size and not number. This is the reason why muscles never become cancerous.

What you experienced was certainly a reduction in muscle size, and thus strength, due to the fact that the intense cardio-vascular nature of the exercises promoted muscle endurance and not muscle strength. Low reps in the gym with high weights develop strength, while high reps with low weights develop endurance. The body forms additional blood vessels and enlarges those already present to accommodate the additional oxygen requirements of the muscles allowing them to function aerobically for much longer. It's endurance that the training is trying to improve, not strength.

Don't forget that somebody lying in a hospital bed for a fortnight will need about six months to achieve the same muscle tone and size as before. Just look at what happens when somebody has a broken arm or leg. Normally, the plaster is removed after six to eight weeks, absent any complications, but the arm or leg looks like it belongs to an Ethiopian -even after such a comparatively short time.