Muscle and strength at Catterick

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Aaron8, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to Catterick on the 17th of March and I was looking at the training and most of it is cardio and looks like it will make you lose alot of weight and losing weight = losing muscle and strength. I've been working out since I was 13 and have put on a decent amount of strength and size in the 3 years but when I go to Catterick will I lose alot of that? Is there a gym that I will be able to use there daily?

Thanks

2. There is a gym, but I'm not sure how much time you'll have to get there during the CIC. I doubt very much you'll have the time or energy to get there daily.

You do upper body training, but it's mainly things like circuits or at least it was when I went through.

Concentrate on getting through training once you get to your unit you go back to being a meat head.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My advice? Start running every day. Most Gym Queens tend to carry a lot of extra weight (cosmetic/muscle) that doesn't sit too well with sustained cardio..

4. I weigh 190 pounds and I can smoke my friends who weigh 125-150 I don't just lift weights I run 5-7 miles 3-4 days a week but when I get to Catterick to lose it all would be a waste I'd hoped there would be time for me to use gym to atleast maintain what I've built on over the years. Instead looks like I'll have to rely on muscle memory. Shame

What's the food there like? alot of it or little?

5. I think you'll find you've not been pushed too much before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What do you mean?

7. Pfft, I'm pretty sure my liver weighs more than that!

8. He means, you're in for the beasting of a lifetime.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Your probably not 8 percent bodyfat and 16

10. Some people are trying to help you here - I suggest you listen or you are going to have a very difficult time at Catterick.

Soldiering is a lot of cardio - but given the weights that were carried in Afghanistan things have swung back a bit towards more muscle. Get through training and enjoy the test..and then you can go back to the routine. Your extra bulk will probably help in some of the activities but there is a lot of running - I am glad to see you have been doing this in preparation.

Enjoy the training as much as possible and then enjoy your career!

11. How old are you?
    Army training is designed to train you to do your job not look "pretty" in front of a mirror see mike golden for mirror antics.
    I wouldnt worry nobody ever got fat doing basic training at battalion a diffrent matter:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. One of my old Wolverhampton Punk mates joined the Royal Engineers in 1989, aged 21 or 22. He was 6ft3 and 15 stone of muscle, and was a West Mids arm wrestling semi-finalist. I used to call him the Dolph Lundgren of Punk. During his basic training he was one of the fittest in the gym, and average at running and tabbing. There was plenty of time for him to do his own stuff with weights once he was posted to Germany.

Yes, don't worry about losing muscle mass. The fitness you will gain is for effect not appearance. Listen to what the instructors tell you, don't gob off, and you should do fine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm 16 I was supposed to go to Harrogate but no places left so I'm going Catterick on March and I don't just work out to look "pretty" I do it to become strong I don't care for getting fat I get fat every winter while bulking anyway that's not the point its all the cardio that's going to make me weaker and lose my strength and size that I don't want to happen

14. Did he lose a lot of his strength in training?

15. Your 16 your body isnt fully muture yet Unless your training at ironman/olympic level Basic training is going to be a shock to the system and you will come out of it fighting fit nobody who completes basic training is less fit than when they went in.
    i really wouldnt worry about it your muscles may change because your using them diffrently but its functional fitness.
    Going into combat carrying 60lb plus you won't be losing any strength anytime soon :)

Good luck and enjoy training dont gob off to the pti ( unless you really really want to develop muscules you had no idea you had :))