Murray Walker RIP

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Given his famous race phrophecies that went immediatly wrong...

I would like to think that Murray uttered these words just before he passed. "Unless I am very much mistaken, I feel fine."

Rest in Peace old boy. F1 was never quite the same after you retired.

Murray Walker also was a succesful adman, working for Masius, who later became the M in DMBB. Proving fake news has a long history, there was an urban myth that he came up with the slogan "A Mars a day helps you work rest and play". Not true, though he did come up with "Opal Fruits: made to make your mouth water".

One of my favourite Murray memories is him interviewing a post-braining on the head Nigel Mansell and managing to prod him exactly on the bruise

I was going to post if someone hadn't already - love that clip, so funny.

sunny james

War Hero
From the Telegraph

"Here is a selection of the best:
  • "There's nothing wrong with the car except it's on fire."
  • "Unless I'm very much mistaken. I am very much mistaken!"
  • "And now excuse me while I interrupt myself!"
  • "It's a sad ending, albeit a happy one, here at Montreal for today's Grand Prix."
  • "Two laps to go, then the action will begin. Unless this is the action, which it is."
  • "I'm ready to stop my startwatch."
  • Murray Walker: "There's a firey glow coming from the back of the Ferrari!" James Hunt: "No Murray, that's his rear safety light."
Murray Walker remembered

Walker's broadcasting career spanned more than 50 years CREDIT: Hulton Archive
  • "Andrea de Cesaris, the man who has won more Grand Prix than anyone else without actually winning one."
  • "Do my eyes deceive me or is Senna's car sounding a bit rough?"
  • "And the first five places are filled with five different cars."
  • "The battle is well and truly on if it wasn't on before, and it certainly was."
  • "The young Ralf Schumacher has been upstaged by teenager Jenson Button, who is 20."
  • "The first four cars are both on the same tyres."
  • "I imagine that the conditions in those cars today are totally unimaginable."
  • "Tambay's hopes, which were absolutely nil before, are absolutely zero now."
Every one a gem. RIP Murray.

Given his famous race phrophecies that went immediatly wrong...

I would like to think that Murray uttered these words just before he passed. "Unless I am very much mistaken, I feel fine."

Rest in Peace old boy. F1 was never quite the same after you retired.
A bit like Spike Milligan who said - 'I told you I was ill'!

Latest Threads