Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Murdochs were given secret defence briefings

If Cameron was giving him a veto on foreign and economic policy, it's a certainly that Blair was before. If Brown wasn't it might go some way towards explaining Murdoch's abandonment of Labour and Brown's bitterness about it.

It would come to something if Brown ended up looking the most principled PM of the three of them.

Not surprising. The Sun, after all, promoted the 'Millies', which were seized on by MOD as doubleplusgood publicity, and free at that. The report also says that "the list shows that Fox frequently hosted briefings for newspaper editors" - so it wasn't only the NI people being briefed.

If briefings are given in direct proportion to sales, then you'd expect NI to get more than any others. Certainly more than the Indy, which has a circulation considerably below that of most regional dailies, and far far less than the Metro or Evening Standard (or even the Kent Messenger).

Lord Justice Leveson giving a press conference at the mo.....Inquiry to open in Sept.....He feels that he is not compromised concerning the Murdochs....

Not surprising. The Sun, after all, promoted the 'Millies', which were seized on by MOD as doubleplusgood publicity, and free at that. The report also says that "the list shows that Fox frequently hosted briefings for newspaper editors" - so it wasn't only the NI people being briefed.

If briefings are given in direct proportion to sales, then you'd expect NI to get more than any others. Certainly more than the Indy, which has a circulation considerably below that of most regional dailies, and far far less than the Metro or Evening Standard (or even the Kent Messenger).

There's always one miserable bugger who lets down the tyres on a perfectly good Outrage Bus.;P

If Cameron was giving him a veto on foreign and economic policy, it's a certainly that Blair was before. If Brown wasn't it might go some way towards explaining Murdoch's abandonment of Labour and Brown's bitterness about it.

It would come to something if Brown ended up looking the most principled PM of the three of them.
BobAinsworthMP Bob Ainsworth by tom_watson @

@UnionArbeiter I once had sandwich lunch with Rebekah to brief on Armed forces welfare but she spent first 15 mins raging about @tom_watson

23 minutes ago http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#

I doubt very much that the game had changed under Browns stewardship,I think the most likely cause for Murdoch's abandonment of Brown is that he could recognise a loser when he saw one (IIRC the financial markets tended to agree.)

Murdochs have just bought a new family yacht...
Checker-16x16.png

All that is happening here is the obvious end game of capitalism... monopoly.

Lord Justice Leveson giving a press conference at the mo.....Inquiry to open in Sept.....He feels that he is not compromised concerning the Murdochs....

Funny that - if this was a court of law then it would have to be free of both apparent and actual bias. It would also mean any conclusions he reached would be declared unsafe at the Court of Appeal.

As for the Murdochs having a veto over government - if you think about it, it is not substantially different to Lord Northcliffe being given a seat in Government during the First World War. The only difference being the Murdochs are international players and Northcliffe was principally a London player.

I'd be a bit concerned if ministers where not talking to the media. I'd also be surprised if they were not giving them confidential briefings on Defence matters.

Despite all the bruhaha of recent weeks the UK press proved that it could be trusted on that sort of thing over the way it handled Prince Harry's deployment. Any journalist or media tycoon who breeched that kind of confidentiality would find his or her sources would have dried up.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see that.

There's always one miserable bugger who lets down the tyres on a perfectly good Outrage Bus.;P

All those 'foamy mouthed' people. All foamed up and not where to go. It's become an annoyingly regular occurrence of late.

All those 'foamy mouthed' people. All foamed up and not where to go. It's become an annoyingly regular occurrence of late.

It's not on really is it? I get a brew and nick biccies off the processing team ready to watch some old, piss stained armchair experts on political correctness gone mad have tear streaked meltdowns and someone comes along and fucks my day up.

Bastards.