Murdoch buys O2 landline & broadband.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by spike7451, Mar 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Looks like I'm moving to Sky then,weather I want to or not!

Sky buys 02 – and everything else, including your mum | BitterWallet

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

o2 broadband is pretty good probably due to the close ties with BT, cant say I'm surprised Sky need to sort themselves out.

As I refuse to go with sky anything, I guess I'm changing provider.
  3. Odd - I would have thought that if anyone had been proven unfit to owning a telecoms company, it is the Dirty digger himself.
  4. Grumblegrunt

didnt they try for a mobile business a few years back.
  5. Plusnet work well for me.
  6. News down here (NZ) is Murdoch is selling his shares in Sky, he owns something like 43% and is looking to raise 800 million dollars.
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

My O2 broadband is very good atm - mainly because I live about 300 meters from the exchange 1.6 megs pm ftw! However the main reason I chose O2 was that their customer service was the best I've seen - UK call centers not expensive compared to BT - new phone line -O2 £45 BT £142????????

I hope it doesn't all go to shit.
  8. I've been with blueyonder since it's inception quite some years ago. For those that may not know, it's morphed over the years through several acquisitions into Virgin Media although I still have my blueyonder email address etc. It's the original broadband working through proper optical fibre cable. I remember them digging the streets up to install the cable.

It's also not the cheapest but I've found it mostly reliable and it's quite fast as well so although I'm not particularly a fan of Branson and don't like giving him any of my money, the blueyonder monicker let's me pretend that I don't have anything to do wth him.

I've just done a check and at this time in the morning, my download speed is 10.34 mb/s and my upload is 1.06 mb/s. How does that equate with other users?
  9. I'm with Be and am not happy. I went from 2Mbs with BT to 21Mbs on ADSL2 and paid less. There is no shaping or contention. Once we move over to Sky infrastructure this will no doubt change for the worse.
  10. 1.55 Down and 0.57 Up. Can't be bettered by any of them; miles from the nearest exchange. On the other hand traffic and parking aren't a major hassle.
  11. Grumblegrunt

about the same here, but I know what I'm getting so adjust accordingly. BT pestering us about fibre optics which might be the next step but despite it being a new estate the cables were never laid by telewest who were financially knackered. we get pestered by virgin buth tye shut up when they look the address up and realise they will have to take up the street.

if it slows up then I stop downloading and I can carry on. most issues I get are due to the internet not the phone lines. mind you when my line broke the neighbours let me access theirs so my system jumps every now and again as for some reason I have allways had wifi white outs where you get nothing for 20 secs then back to normal.
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I get about 7.5 to 8 MB/s down & about 1MB/s upload,I'm about a mile from my exchange,options for me in respect to other ISP's are pretty limited.BT's fibre has been ran for half of the town (the half that has the big houses & money!lol) but my half as yet hasn't got it.
    Your fibre optic cable only runs as far as the main street Mux/DA (Distribution Amp) & from there on it's copper to the street cabinets (DP) & onto the home.The Mux/DA can be as far as a 1/2 mile away,but the broadband/TV connection is boosted at each of the main DP's.
    Spike (ex NTL/VM Service Engineer)
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well if Branson rolled his bloody cable network out better I'd sign back on in a flash. I'm lucky if I get 1.6 Meg on ADSL here. At the previous address I had Virgin DSL and it was rock solid, very fast and only went down once in a thunderstorm.
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well when I started work for CableTel as it was at the time,here in Belfast,the plan was to have 3/4 of NI cabled up by 2007.As it stands half of Bangor (Bangor West) & half of Ards are cabled & ready for release & have been since about 2003.Heck,the's even an NTL Fibre Optic cable running down to Donaghadee!
    NTL's old owner,Barclay Knapp's greed in buying up everyone & everything & thus entering Ch11 put paid to that!
  15. I am happy with my BT line, ok a bit expensive but, can't knock 78mbps