Murderous Beast Identification....

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by saladin, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We recently re-installed a few hens in a long abandoned coop. All has been well for about a month .....until today - 1 hen foully ( sorry) murdered by culprits unknown.

The hen was lying dead in one corner, partially covered in leaves - the floor of the run is leaf covered, the run is overhung by mature oak/alder. There were a few feathers missing from one side of the chaest but no major damage. Only one bird was attacked....

I've scouted all round the coop - no sign of forced entry, no tunnelling under the wire - undisturbed leaf litter all over.

3 sides are chicken wire, two layers high strung from deer-fence posts, the remaining side only has chicken wire single height, deer fence above.

Am I looking for an agile fox getting through the deer fence 3 feet up ....or a pine marten ? - we have both locally.

2. Was all the blood totally drained with a small triangular incision on the chest or side?...

CW

Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

3. Not a fox, it would kill all the hens. While you have reasonable protection from larger mammal predators, start to think about smaller ones, Stoats or martins/mink will kill a hen, but can't drag it away over the fence, or birds of prey will drop in over your defences.

4. Yep, if it was a fox there would have been mayhem in your coop - they just kill the lot.

5. How near to water are you? I've known people lose chickens like this to mink.

Trim back the overhanging branches, or move the pen.

6. Did you see any strange lights in the sky on that, or previous nights?...

CW

Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

7. Check the other hens.

The one with the shifty look in her eyes, and a dodgy alibi; that's your culprit.

8. SF rodent/ferret/weasel?

9. OK, Discounting alien abduction attempts and drop bears...looks like I need a chicken wire lid on the run.

:(

10. Coudn't hurt.

Look for chicken feathers in the pellets of your local owls. Perhaps the victim wouldn't 'put-out' for a quick rough shag in the night.

Other than that, I'm going with dropbears, too.

11. Chicken(s)-on-chicken fratricide (sistercide)?

12. That's what I said at 08:44. :D

Edited to add smiley.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Any Haitian refugees near you?

14. Are you sure its dead? Perhaps its just resting.