Murder rates, US/UK comparison

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by -Sardaukar-, Mar 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Methinks he doth protest too much.
  2. Interesting stuff - I hadn't realised the stats weren't comparable.
  3. I don't have to read your link to know that all the murder statistics from America are a load of cobblers.

Just as I've explained here before now; They have shootings all the time in America and when it suits them, such as low-lifes, they just say, "No humans involved!" and then it doesn't count. The true and accurate figure would be something completely different, and I bet they couldn't even tell you what the true count is.
  4. I've read the link which appears to make no sense. The bloke appears to be a rambling loon.

In reality, figures are meaningless, as 'stranger murders' account for a tiny proportion of murders overall. Statistically you are likely to be murdered by someone who knows you or by a member of your family. As such, apart from the weirdos and nut jobs, murder statistics should remain about the same as the number of people with a murderous grievance in the population will remain about the same from year to year.

I have no doubt that the murder rate in the US is higher than the UK due to the widespread availability of firearms. Putting it frankly, shooting someone is a lot less effort than trying to find a baseball bat or an appropriate knife by which time your temper may have cooled or your intended victim, realising what is going on, has legged it.

And, as I'm feeling generous, try and refrain from pissing people off during a full moon. And no, I'm not joking!
  5. Not my idea of pissing people off...I am really curious, was told me by one septic gun-nut... Thus...
  6. So basically he's saying the murder rates are identical (per capita), providing you use as loose a definition of murder as is possible with the british statistics and do zero analysis on the US statistics into the bargain.

He may have a point but his methodology makes it very hard to see if its valid.
  7. It's why madness is also called 'Lunacy'. The Full Moon does affect behaviour.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I was going to go to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime website.

They should have the murder rate for the UK and US listed, along with how each figure was worked out.

However, the site appears to be down.
  9. What's the point? We ought to have a higher murder rate being a much more densely populated country.
    Are the Septics counting what they'd consider lawful killings and we wouldn't? Speaking of which, though it seems sensible to only count court verdicts (you have to do more than die to be murdered, it has to be intent of your killer) we do have coroners' courts whose findings you could count. As we can only count murders that have happened, historic convictions can only add to the total for any given year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

11. That's far too sensible. And quite right.
  12. Lies, damn lies and statistics? One thing that I learned in Tech College many many years ago is that with statistics you can prove almost anything you want, and you don't even need to falsify the stats, it is often just a matter of presentation and definition.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I found this report, published by the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, which is interesting if seriously out of date now.

Crime and Justice in the U.S. and England and Wales: Convictions per 1,000 population

It's a comparison of conviction rates for violent offences (murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft) that compares the United States to England & Wales.

On the murder rate, it specifically states: