Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by redgrain, May 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq' - a long title, but an excellent book, although, in the end, Patrick Cockburn peels back the layers of al-Sadr's complex character, but never seems able to get to its core.

2. Complex character? Me thinks this is an overstatement.

But wait! More than 50 million Americans did vote for Bush (twice) because of his "complex" character.

Only goes to show how much the Queen's language has been watered down over the years.

3. Read the book, mate, at least when it comes out in soft back, and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I think al Sadr is far more complex than Dubya - a man who can barely string a coherent thought or sentence together - but perhaps that is not saying much.

4. Duh! I am more complex than Dubya. But I do get your point. I am headed to Amazon.com to pick me up a copy even as we speak.

Cheers for the recommendation, old boy.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

out of interest, has the author ever met the Mr al-Sadr?

6. No, but he did speak to many of his associates. Cockburn is an unimbedded (aka independent) journalist and very familiar with Iraq.

7. Cockburn's rants in the independent made my blood boil until I stopped reading them about a year ago. I found his pieces on Iraq heavily twisted to push his very un-independent views.

He seems to think having lived in Iraq for a bit gives you that extra bit of knowledge that allows you to patronise us fools who only work there for 6-7 month stints.

8. You won't be buying the book then, I take it? :wink:

Seriously, I enjoy Cockburn's writing and don't find it patronising at all, although I may not always agree with him. He does have a lot of knowledge of the history and peoples of Iraq.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

You'll have to forgive me for feeling that this book is no more than 10% accurate. third hand annecdotes do not, an in-depth view of a personality make...

I'll put this in the league of Big Boys Rules and Nemesis...