Muntjac deterrence.

Maybe not for the inexperienced but it`s how most of the cullers drop them or by head shot and they know how to shoot.

I'm not saying it's not a good way to shoot them, what I am saying is with a small target such as the neck as with the head which is usually continually moving, it can be a very difficult shot. Not done right a deer can live long enough to go a fair distance and it can take a deer a long time to die.

What is it you would like to know?

The sweet spot we are taught is teacup saucer- sized circle which will - if you hit it - destroy heart and/ or lungs.
Even if it runs - its dead in seconds, pain minimalised.
A head shot is also instant - but get it wrong and you have now caused a lot of suffering.

Also - the rounds we are required to use dump all their energy into the animal - they don't pass through and keep going for another few hundred yards.

Now this is all about UK deer ( 6 types ) and I know you have deer species in the USA that we don't.

The sweet spot we are taught is teacup saucer- sized circle which will - if you hit it - destroy heart and/ or lungs.
Even if it runs - its dead in seconds, pain minimalised.
A head shot is also instant - but get it wrong and you have now caused a lot of suffering.

Also - the rounds we are required to use dump all their energy into the animal - they don't pass through and keep going for another few hundred yards.

Now this is all about UK deer ( 6 types ) and I know you have deer species in the USA that we don't.

I shoot them through the Scapula, the round will destroy both scapula's and when the deer arches it's back on being hit, it will break it's own back. There is also massive shock damage to the heart and lungs as well so that any deer hit using this method is dead before it even hits the ground.

Using this method I have never had to chase up a deer afterwards. Now then saying that I really don't have to worry about bullet pass through given where I live and know that hunting in the UK is a whole different ball game as I've hunted deer in the UK as well alongside my younger brother.

A competent poacher turned game keeper is what you need . Click . Thwack . Thud . SSS
Unfortunately I don't know any .

I shoot them through the Scapula, the round will destroy both scapula's and when the deer arches it's back on being hit, it will break it's own back. There is also massive shock damage to the heart and lungs as well so that any deer hit using this method is dead before it even hits the ground.

Using this method I have never had to chase up a deer afterwards. Now then saying that I really don't have to worry about bullet pass through given where I live and know that hunting in the UK is a whole different ball game as I've hunted deer in the UK as well alongside my younger brother.

What round(s) do you use and on what species ?

What round(s) do you use and on what species ?

On Mule Deer and Whitetail deer I use either .308 or 8mm FMJ round. I also hunt Elk which my 8mm will also put down. I will occasionally take one my Lee Enfields out as well for use on deer.

This thread's a mine of information. Gold. This is why I come to here.
(I was going to write "This is why I come to arsse" but that sounds like something for another sort of website.)

Latest Threads