Muntjac deterrence.

The dogs being attacked is our worry, fortunately when the younger dog found it in the garden it chased it up and down the steep bank and there was always somewhere for it to run to, though at one time it was cornered but the dog didn’t get to grips with it.

The chasing around went on for several minutes until I opened the gate to the copse and it sensibly took the option of legging it, unfortunately the young dog got through the dog before I could get the gate shut.

Whole thing seemed to be like a an assault course up and down the banks trying to shepherd the bloody thing away from the corners of the garden where it could get trapped at the same time trying to catch the young dog whilst restraining the elder one. Only one of me and Mrs 06 slid down the bank on their arse and my trousers didn’t need to be washed when we eventually sorted the problem:)
Trouble is they're short sighted AF. Had one of the dozy little buggers walk straight through a hedge in front of us, hilarity ensued, the dogs did indeed go apeshit as you describe.
I guess they must even smell delish to dogs as they're really bloody keen, they went steaming off after it and only didn't succeed as the dog that could catch it was the collie and she tried to herd it up.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
No need to apologise for the buggers, my aim is to ensure they don’t drive the spaniels completely mad, and if possible protect as much of the garden as possible, they already feast on the shrubs in the us fenced bi5 of the garden.

This one is unlikely to wriggle through a 9” netting it was the size of a Labrador.

I will most certainly let you know if we have any success.

I'm struggling with the concept that your spaniels haven't sorted things out in any space they have access to. Here are my enforcers.

1637186369746.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Trouble is they're short sighted AF. Had one of the dozy little buggers walk straight through a hedge in front of us, hilarity ensued, the dogs did indeed go apeshit as you describe.
I guess they must even smell delish to dogs as they're really bloody keen, they went steaming off after it and only didn't succeed as the dog that could catch it was the collie and she tried to herd it up.

Over the years my dogs got 3 deer.
One was a fawn which was just trying to sit silently and very still as they do. A strategy that probably works better on visual hunters than those with a very keen sense of smell.
The other 2 they were on the lead when the deer broke cover. Given the size of the dogs, it was Nantucket sleigh ride time! One occasion it was a broken lead and the other ripped from my hand.
The other the deer was close to a fence line, it ran along the fence and then for some reason did a u turn, came back straight into the dogs.

Over the years my dogs got 3 deer.
One was a fawn which was just trying to sit silently and very still as they do. A strategy that probably works better on visual hunters than those with a very keen sense of smell.
The other 2 they were on the lead when the deer broke cover. Given the size of the dogs, it was Nantucket sleigh ride time! One occasion it was a broken lead and the other ripped from my hand.
The other the deer was close to a fence line, it ran along the fence and then for some reason did a u turn, came back straight into the dogs.
I actually saw this one coming, it was trotting across a meadow to the gap in the hedge so I stood still to see what would happen. The muntjac, away in a little world of it's own, had a serious "Oh Shiat!"moment as it walked into the middle of a crowd of dogs. The dogs were slow to react as busy staring at me wondering why I'd gone very still.
My aforementioned last Lab, Manuka also met a muntjac fawn, having been pre-prepped by the roadkill she knew it would taste good so chased very enthusiastically it as it whimpered pitifully. I couldn't stand it and ordered her off, but had to put imminent threat of death (Manuka's not the fawn) into my voice.
Meat on feet really brings out the inner wolf in our cuddly furbags, they view every walk as a poorly organised hunting expedition and Labradors think life is just one big all you can eat buffet.

Thanks, meantime I will try and get some of the artificial coyote urine as mentioned by @Sam The Bam !

Whatever you do don't open it in the house and have a sniff of it, you'll regret it.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Another wee tip that herself does, she puts the dogs on a harness and lets them scent mark around the edge of the garden. Do it once and the dogs will keep going back to check and will scent mark every day.

Another wee tip that herself does, she puts the dogs on a harness and lets them scent mark around the edge of the garden. Do it once and the dogs will keep going back to check and will scent mark every day.

This. Nothing stopping you scent marking with the hounds if they don't like the smell of humans.

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
0.338 fmj will do it.
Not allowed. It would have to be hollow point or soft point projectiles. Legal requirements as per the deer act.
FMJ for humans, expanding for deer. Although that seems counterintuitive to most people who hear it for the first time.
Tis cruel to shoot dear with FMJs, they go straight through and deer limp off and hide.

Reference your last: No, it depends upon shot placement.

Latest Threads