Munich

ancient

War Hero
Gents, having received excellent travel and tourist advice on this forum, I thought I'd try again.

This time Mrs Ancient, mini Ancient aged 6, and I are away to Munich for 4 days. What's the best to see and eat and drink?

Mrs A's grandfather was in Dachau for a spell (Italian but swept up by ze Germans when they retreated, taking skilled engineers with them), but thankfully survived. Is mini Ancient too young for that do you think?

What were your highlights?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Gents, having received excellent travel and tourist advice on this forum, I thought I'd try again.

This time Mrs Ancient, mini Ancient aged 6, and I are away to Munich for 4 days. What's the best to see and eat and drink?

Mrs A's grandfather was in Dachau for a spell (Italian but swept up by ze Germans when they retreated, taking skilled engineers with them), but thankfully survived. Is mini Ancient too young for that do you think?

What were your highlights?

All suggestions gratefully received.
By this time of year most of the nude sunbathers will have retreated indoors (to save mini-A questions and Mrs A blushes), so the English Garden is well worth a wander. There's a great bratty/beer kiosk in the northern part of the park that's well worth a sociable stop. At the south end, there's a standing wave on one of the watercourses; the view from the bridge of the surfers going for it is well worth a look.

The HB is worth a quick visit, just for the stat, but is loud, crowded and full of tourists.

If you're aviation-minded, the DFW museum at Oberschleissheim is very good, with exhibits going back to Otto Lillienthal's gliders.

Last edited:
There is nothing to be gained by takeing a young child to a death camp. The atmosphere is quite eerie and strange, He-she will not comprehend at that age what occurred there, and any explanation on your part is likely to manifest itself at night. far to young. As for Munich, go for it. Be aware, there is still a strong anti British-American feeling in the older generation, and it is a hot bed for the neo Nazi factions....... Have a nice day.

Depends when you want to go. Winter time is great, most of the beer gardens have ice rinks and there are festivals/markets galore. Spring is nice when the big beer gardens are opening, summer is great for lazy days in the park. With beer of course. If you are thinking of going soon, a youngster would enjoy all the enchantment of a Winterfest. Bright lights, big city.
Dachau is a short U-bahn ride away, and I don’t think mini is too young. The whole city is easy to travel around on “coverall tickets” so the science museum, Olympic park and even the BMW museum is all do-able.
Enjoy!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I second that
BMWs museum and visitor centre will blow you out, little one will enjoy it as it has a wide range of vehicles
all boys like cars

the olympic park is great for kids

and the old Nyphenburg palace used ot have a zoo

Go have a look at Marienplatz.

St Peters Church - St Peters/ Alte Peter/ Peterskirche. Lots of cafes and old streets around and about the place.

Deutsches Museum - it is huge and has kiddy activities

With a 6 year old in tow you need to be finding amusing child friendly things to be doing. My youngest is 16 now and still gets bored shitless when his mum and myself want to go sightseeing and point interesting things out to him.

There is this place too if you need him to work off some energy and collapse at the end of the day - DAV Kletter und boulderzentrum DAV Kletter- und Boulderzentrum München | Die größte Kletteranlage der Welt und noch viel mehr

I second that
BMWs museum and visitor centre will blow you out, little one will enjoy it as it has a wide range of vehicles
all boys like cars

the olympic park is great for kids

and the old Nyphenburg palace used ot have a zoo
BMW Welt is excellent; it is well worth the entry fee for the wall of motorcycles alone.

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Screw the tourist and go to a decent Bierkeller.. Go to the Augustiner better beer and hearty food. Deutsches Museum is cool for kids and adults and takes a day. Wander around Marienplatz, have Weisswurst (take the skin off) and wheat beer for breakfast.

Latest Threads