Munich Bomb wounds four - stand down the racists, we did it

German truck driver gobbling off, “I can do Berlin to Birmingham deliver and be back in Berlin in 24 hrs……”
Elderly forklift driver listening to this, sucks on his teeth and reply’s “That’s nothing mate, I could do York to Berlin deliver and back in 8hrs!”
“No! This is not possible! How did you do such quick trip?”
“Easy mate!” As he drives away shout’s “Lancaster Bomber!”

bombsquad.jpg

"Hello Frankfurt ATC. This is Speedbird105 Heavy. Can you provide guidance to runway"

"Hello Speedbird105. This is Frankfurt. Haf you not flown to Frankfurt before"

"Hello Frankfurt. I flew here a few times in 1945 but I didn't stop"

Bloody unlucky, but I suppose it's a fact of life (and risk management) considering how many bombs were dropped on metropolitan, industrial and transport infrastructure bits of Germany. How many unexploded bits still lying about, buried on impact or during tidying up must be anyone's guess.
Farmers are still being maimed and killed in Flanders due to World War 1 ordnance, despite having armoured tractors.

I get it that the tank crew all have short weapons. Some of the soldiers in the bunker had long rifles that looked a bit like SLRs but most likely weren't.

What were they? FALs?

Do they not do what we do and conduct an appropriate risk assessment and clearance survey before excavating/drilling/piling in areas recorded as having been bombed/shelled/fought over heavily, etc?

Offshore windfarms can't get insurance without a clearance certificate for each turbine installation footprint or 50m either side of proposed cable routes.
I was involved in deploying a fibre optic system in many German cities in the early 2000's. Before commencing on digging/boring to place ducts we had to do extensive research on the possibilities of encountering UXO, including consulting the Bundesarchiv Koblenz to check the historical USAAF bomb plots, particularly for the major cities such as Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg and Hannover to name a few. We were fortunate and deployed metropolitan fibre network ducting without encountering big bangy things!

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
Back in 2004 I worked at the Nurburgring at a race, we stayed in a holiday park a few miles away with wooden chalets, quite posh compared to sharing a cheap room as per usual.

One day at breakfast some other Brits from another mob were walking towards where the tables were, and all doing the "Wooden Horse" walk.....One stopped at our table and said;

"How are you chaps doing with YOUR tunnel......we are nearly out to the wire !"

We all laughed, but then I noticed a serving girl near us with a tray of drinks looking upset, she put the tray down with a bump and asked why the English were always going on about the War and making jokes etc.

I must admit I did a bit of a rotter for a moment, but as soon as we were in the Merc hire bus it was all "Panzers March!" as usual for that trip.

Every time a car came in to the pits the tannoy loudly said "Achtung Fahenlager" or somesuch which of course started everyone off again.

Did the crew of his next ship shoot an albatross for luck when he came aboard?
I think he was lucky they didn't shoot him.

Poppycock

War Hero
One report said that 2000+ TONNES of wartime UXO are discovered in Germany each year

Imagine what a nightmare the Loas / Cambodian nations must face when working around the Ho Chi Minh trail / anywhere near the Vietnamese border

When I was at school, we had a master who was certainly old enough for this to be possible.
His wife's friend had married a German, who the teacher took an instant dislike to. Herman was going on about a new shopping complex in Hamburg.
"Ah" , says our chap, "you can probably thank my colleagues and I for the demolition of the previous structures".
"Oh, were you in construction before you became a teacher?"
"No, RAF".

When I was at school, we had a master who was certainly old enough for this to be possible.
His wife's friend had married a German, who the teacher took an instant dislike to. Herman was going on about a new shopping complex in Hamburg.
"Ah" , says our chap, "you can probably thank my colleagues and I for the demolition of the previous structures".
"Oh, were you in construction before you became a teacher?"
"No, RAF".
So churned up farmland 5 miles away and made a lot of Beef ready for butchering

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads