Multiyear Restoration of the Memphis Belle is complete and will be placed in the National Museum of the US Air Force

Bad form, really. It needs to be remembered without the Americans being on our side in World War II, Britain's situation would have been dire for a long while. By the end of 1941 I don't think the Nazis were in a position to defeat us, but the war would have gone on far longer, and the Soviet sphere of influence in Europe may well have been as far west as Calais at the conclusion of the war.
Indeed. Probably really not much chance we'd have ended up speaking German. But a very good chance we'd have been speaking Russian.

I’ve mentioned this before but kirkbride had blister hangars (2) full of mk19 spitfires , flown twice ..That went to the aluminium smelter at what is now sellafield in 1949 for the princely sum of 30 Guineas each.
Around half of the surviving fleet of Halifaxes, including a considerable number with little more than ferry hours from flight-test, were "reduced to produce" at 48 MU on the edge of York at the end of hostilities.

25 missions and then mothballed?
Must be nice having an endless supply.

The scale of US bomber production was simply breathtaking.

Just after VE Day, the US cancelled orders for 6,000 B-24 bombers.
Just after VJ Day, they cancelled orders for 5,900 B-29 and 1,900 B-32 heavy bombers.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Indeed. Probably really not much chance we'd have ended up speaking German. But a very good chance we'd have been speaking Russian.
Can't see that either, Ivan would still have to get across the channel. On topic, I would like to see this myself one day.

Around half of the surviving fleet of Halifaxes, including a considerable number with little more than ferry hours from flight-test, were "reduced to produce" at 48 MU on the edge of York at the end of hostilities.

Spitfires and no doubt other types with low hours at MUs en passim wer reduced to produce. Also at some manufacturer's plants, aircraft rolled off the production line, only to be broken up on the other side of the airfield at the conclusion of World War II.

Can't see that either, Ivan would still have to get across the channel. On topic, I would like to see this myself one day.
By the time they got to the channel, it would've been well within their capacity to cross. Massive army, fighting on one front with no aversion to taking huge casualties.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whatever they wanted. They would have plenty of time to consolidate, build up their invasion forces then launch at the time of their choosing. We wouldn't be getting any stronger.

Well apart from the whole British Empire, possible American aid etc etc

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Using what?

they probably would have found a way, even if using the barges that had been rejected by the Wermachy as unusable in 1940. do you suppose Stalin would have blinked at giving the order, even if it meant drowning 2 out of 3 of his own troops?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
they probably would have found a way, even if using the barges that had been rejected by the Wermachy as unusable in 1940. do you suppose Stalin would have blinked at giving the order, even if it meant drowning 2 out of 3 of his own troops?
Nope but he'd still have had to cross the channel and I doubt he'd have been able to land enough troops and then supply them to succeed much like Adolf

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The whole point of this thread diversion is that this situation would arise due to no American assistance, in the first place.
Fair enough the Empire still stands as does the development of a UK nuke which Stalin won't have

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope but he'd still have had to cross the channel and I doubt he'd have been able to land enough troops and then supply them to succeed much like Adolf

england would have been on its last legs. I think if it had come to a possible Sov invasion - if the US hadn't gotten involved - we would have been pretty shaky.

By the time they got to the channel, it would've been well within their capacity to cross. Massive army, fighting on one front with no aversion to taking huge casualties.

Just as long as you ignore the huge integrated air defence network the UK had with thousands of modern fighters.

Utube the film of kingsman Arizona boneyard in 1947 with the soundtrack of Ray la Montaigne singing like rock and roll and the radio.
If there was a thread for film clips that make you think that would be my nomination.

OK. Haven’t checked the rest of the thread but hey ho...

Latest Threads