Multiple quoting - is it really necessary?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Mugatu2, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On any forums, whenever I need to quote someone, I hit the quote button. So far so good. On these forums though, whenever I need to quote someone who has quoted someone else, I still hit the quote button. BUT I delete the bit that the person didn't say. That keeps it to one quote.

Is that so hard though? Because one of the most painful bits about reading ARRSe forums is to see the "multiquote" expanding a one liner into a whole A4 page of some 15 previous quotes for the sake of a two word reply saying "I Agree" or "LOL".
    It seems it's too complicated an issue for some users to delete some of their quote.
    Or even to just hit "Reply" instead of quote.

On other forums, this is an issue that's stamped down on to save bandwidth. Is it not an issue here? Or is it something that Moderators are just too busy to deal with?

One of the best examples was the "Which Crab's wife is this" thread in the NAAFi. Did everybody really have to "quote" the picture so that every page showed the picture 5 or 6 times on every page?

Just wondering, and I know the Mods have a lot to deal with here.

2. Thanks for that.

Hopefully as you read down the post, it becomes clearer. The NAAFi "Crab Wife" thread sums it up.

Maybe I'm not so clear when I try to make a long point! Sorry. :oops:

In short, 15 people quoting each other is a pain in the ass to read when there is no quoting necessary. They could just hit "reply".

3. I agree, but if its a fast moving thread then to give your post context its better to quote because your post could end up on a different page to the post your replying to.

Although I agree that you dont need to quotes on top of quotes, I'm guilty of that myself.

Edited for being a megatard

4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Something tells me people may just start 'agreeing with you', but put in pointless multiple quotations. Just a hunch...

5. I agree with the sig block thing. It appears there is no restriction to the size or number of objet-das you can put in your sig block. Some use it as a fucking CV. It becomes difficult to actually see what someone has posted if they've got the entire works of Tolstoy below a one line reply. I'm suprised this hasn't been stamped on to be honest. It must eat bandwidth like a fat bird in a pie shop. Some thread end up being 96 pages when infact, they would only be two pages long without the long sig blocks.

(I have ensured mine is as slim as possible before someone kicks off).