Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Multi-Role Support Ship (MRSS)

Given uncertainty regarding RM numbers and the RN's amphibious capabilities, this Jane's article provides an interesting insight into potential replacements for our LPDs, forward repair and medical vessels.

A single, multi-role platform appears to make operational and commercial sense to this crustacean. The biggest challenge may well be managing the spending profile over the next 10 years given Dreadnought SSBN, T26/T31, QE/F-35, Sea Class, personnel and other funding priorities. However, as the concept study is not even planned to report until 2018, hopefully this can be managed.

I have to say that I'm a tad surprised to see Albion and Bulwark planned to be out of service in 2030; it only seems like yesterday since they were commissioned and one's been in 'extended readiness' for some years.
800px-HMS_Bulwark.jpg

After T26/31, MRSS will presumably be of significant interest to UK shipbuilding. However, after the award of Tide Class MARS RFA contract to Korean manufacturers, it could end up being a bit of a political football.

Regards,
MM

Seen.

and it looks like someone in MarCap has been having a wet in London.

Given that Continuous Amphibious Readiness doesn't talk about LPD replacement, and the way the Corps is moving, I can see this become more of an Admin Off-Load type of ship rather than a Warship. As for the other bits, I know there is genuine angst about Medical Capability at sea (and how we provide it).

It might be worth going "off the shelf" and/or converting a MV design for these things. I think we should probably try and get them built somewhere other than the UK, although I'm not sure the Koreans are up for bidding again...

Seen.

and it looks like someone in MarCap has been having a wet in London.

Given that Continuous Amphibious Readiness doesn't talk about LPD replacement, and the way the Corps is moving, I can see this become more of an Admin Off-Load type of ship rather than a Warship. As for the other bits, I know there is genuine angst about Medical Capability at sea (and how we provide it).

It might be worth going "off the shelf" and/or converting a MV design for these things. I think we should probably try and get them built somewhere other than the UK, although I'm not sure the Koreans are up for bidding again...

Some intresting thoughts in the thread which this link takes you to,

UK Defence Forum - Login

Some need a kilo or two salt, but it is worth a read.

1. Medical = Role 3 afloat?

2. Has the land centric nature of sandy adventures skewed thinking in MOD/Government?

3. Before SDSR 15 every thought the RN would get a manpower uplift of 1500 or more people. What happened to stop it?

is it worth registering for...?

The site has some decent threads, non of the “internet hardmen - comedians” one troll of note Ron5.

It has a decent section on equipment and future. It also has a few equipment fantasists, some SME on the engineering sode of things. It was set up when military photos swithed over to the mess, Pretty nuch a UK orientated version of that.

Downsizer posts there.