ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Multi-role brigades

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by irlsgt, Apr 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm talking to a brick wall here. Let me try for the last time to get a simple concept across:

a. The Brigades you allude to are not designed, manned or intended to be operational.

b. They simply use the name "Brigade" which is also a title applied to an operational formation.

c. Whether they are fat or not - and there's clearly a division of opinion on this thread - is not something you are, or have been, in a position to comment on.

Pointing at an organisation and saying "cut the fat! you need more troops" without any experience or working knowledge contributes nothing.

For example, arguing that 160 Bde couldn't deploy & therefore lacks utility is like complaining that an Army Training Regiment can't deploy as a regiment. Or that my hatchback can't go off road like my friend's Landrover. They're both cars, they're just designed for different tasks.

Lets put it another way. During my regiment's TELIC tours our various companies were detached to other Battlegroups. Our BHQ(-) hung around Shaiba doing staffwork, only leaving slipper city to escape the boredom by visiting us and trying to tag along on our patrols.

It didn't mean our BHQ didn't deserve to exist. It didn't mean it "lacked utility". It wasn't of "limited use". It served its purpose for Telic by training and coordinating its subordinate units.

Alles klar?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If that's @Caecilius (s)he's got some explaining to do...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. No worries, the way the thread is going we should have flattened the fences at Andover and raided Blenheim* with a liposuction machine by then

@Charlie_Cong Amen brother

*at least in spirit...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Comd SCHINF is now a full colonel and is responsible for IBS, SWS and ITC, which by my reckoning is slightly bigger than 4X or 160X assets. I am probably wrong. It does seem though that there is some fat in both types of Bde

6. Somewhere a ghost of stonkers past is rubbing its hands and muttering "very Grosser Generalstab, young padwan"

7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have no doubt. We actually agree on a fair amount.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You know you couldn't don't you?

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

At the time it was 52 Inf Bde, which whilst being a Regional Brigade at the time was (together with 2 Inf Bde in the South East) expected to be more deployable as it had Regular OPCOM infantry units in it. As another poster says when it was slated for HERRICK the Bde HQ was effectively built up from scratch, and new Regular OPCOM units allocated to it. So it was similar to 11 Bde which was formed and disbanded specifically for a HERRICK tour.

10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

As has just happened in the South West Region (the old 43 Bde)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Now HQ SW with the old 43 Bde Wyvern resurrected as the formation badge.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I'm 1 Arty Bde so I wear the Sheep's Head! Looks a bit odd with my R Signals TRF on my other sleeve...

Does the Army need Regional HQs? Yes. do they need to be commanded by 1*'s? No. An OF5 Comd seems to me to be the obvious solution. Another thing that needs looking at is the JRLO structure...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. The Combat Womb....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Expand please?