Multi-functional tool for cleaning rifle survey

Issue cleaning kits for the C7/C8 M16 series vary a fair bit.

Ours here for the C7/C8 are not too bad though basic, but come in an utterly rubbish nylon pouch (the stitching failed on mine very quickly). I quite like the coated wire pull through.

Edit: standard C7/C8 cleaning kit can be seen here: https://www.coltcanada.com/assets/cleaning-instruction.pdf

The new C8IUR comes with a better set, including a boresnake and a fibre optic borelight.

The old US M16 cleaning kit is different again, and a bit more old school with a three piece cleaning rod.

Dr Death

War Hero
Any new tool should be tried by the para's first as if they can not break it, it will be fine.

Certainly a bit of an alien idea for the British Army and lacking in charterer building and moral fibre but how about a cleaning regime that doesn't degenerate into a desperate attempt to polish every piece of metal so it shines like silver and a rifle that doesn't create 10 times the carbon and 20 times the places to hide carbon in ?

I'll see if I can get around to a vid this weekend. It's low-hanging fruit, and the fact that I haven't cleaned the rifle ever (although it's only had 100 rounds through it) will show where it gets scabby.

Oyibo

LE
This ‘thing’ to get stones out of a horses hoof, did it by any chance look a bit like a marlin spike? :)

ETA, of course some swiss style tools have had a frog tool,
Nope, but some issue clasp knives had marlin spikes.

You'd be on a charge for that when you got your bit of 4x2 stuck in the barrel, or you'd at least owe someone a crate of beer to avoid one ;)
I wood not know about that, but you would get some stick over it

Slime

LE
Nope, but some issue clasp knives had marlin spikes.
Time for pics then, frog tools are pretty rare on a knife :)
I’ve only seen them in equestrian settings.

Oyibo

LE
Time for pics then, frog tools are pretty rare on a knife :)
I’ve only seen them in equestrian settings.
More of a reamer, but everyone used to call them 'the thing for getting stones out of horses hooves'.

Slime

LE
More of a reamer, but everyone used to call them 'the thing for getting stones out of horses hooves'.
Apologies for the thread drift.
But it sounded interesting so I thought I’d ask :)

I was out shopping for knives today as the local militaria shop had opened, so knives were on my mind.

Most U.S gun shows have 5 different vendors selling cleaning tools designed by SEALS, DELTA, MARSOC etc. You might get some good ideas from them.

Hi,
I'm designing a tool to help clean the new C8 rifle that is starting to be used by some Paras and marines, this is all for my Design Tech A-Level so is not actually going into circulation. But as part of the course i have to do a survey. I've attached the link for the Google Survey and it's all anonymous and none of the questions are mandatory but do help alot. Feel free to fill it out (it wont take more than a few minutes). Cheers.
Essential tools for Paras you say....

1593121989120.png

1593122073003.png

1593122177175.png

JackSofty

War Hero
Scotch Brite (Tm) that doesn't disinegrate into green/black grit.
Mind you, when we were first issued the 5.56 jobbie (and it was), we were told that under NO circumstances were we to use said product.
Within months it was issued in our cleaning kits.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Latest Threads