Multi-functional tool for cleaning rifle survey

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Kind of, its like a mix between a leatherman and a combi tool to try and get the best of both worlds in one.
I'd suggest designing a single multifunction blade which could be installed onto a standard Leatherman or Gerber mulittool chassis. The multitool already covers the general functions (screwdrivers, pliers etc) far better than anything you're likely to come up with; try for a design which can help with altering sights, put together the cleaning rods, even clean out the chamber locking lugs if possible. Something like the right hand arm of the SA80 tool below:

1593079542968.png

Also, separate to the single blade, a screw thread at one end of a handle for cleaning rods / brushes to be mounted on.

The stumbling block will be getting any Army to agree to issuing something specifically for weapon maintenance to the user which can be used to take the weapon further apart than field stripping.

Your idea has merit however; good luck.

lert

LE
Never forget you're designing for the lowest common denominator. Never understimate the ability of your average Tom to break, lose or misemploy something.

Good luck designing a tool for something you’ve never seen/touched/used, don’t know anyone who uses it and are presenting to someone who likely doesn’t know what a combi tool is/what a c8 is.

Why don’t you pick something that you can actually get hands on with?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Good luck designing a tool for something you’ve never seen/touched/used, don’t know anyone who uses it and are presenting to someone who likely doesn’t know what a combi tool is/what a c8 is.

Why don’t you pick something that you can actually get hands on with?
A 16-17 year old wants to have a go at designing something for a firearm, and has quite a good idea.

Why would you want to discourage that? Considering the general negativity about anything to do with guns in this country, if someone has a genuine technical interest then it can only be a good thing.

Have a look at what cleaning tools etc. are available for AR15 rifles on www.brownells.com, since the C7 and C8 are just those.

OK, so I'm a civvy cnut and just squirt some Brunox into the interior cavity of the working parts and chuck a boresnake down the barrel, and don't have to do the military "OMG let's clean this thing to death" routine, but about the most useful thing for that are carbon scrapers for a) the annular groove inside of the bolt carrier; b) the back end of the bolt which faces that annular groove. Those are the annoying and system-specific parts and you can find such tools on Brownells. Everything else of use is on a Leatherman or similar. Or is a pipe cleaner, or already in the issued cleaning kit.

If you want to have a look around the insides of that type of rifle, I'm willing to do so via Zoom, Skype or similar, or could make you a little video showing you what it looks like, where it gets dirty, and where it needs particular attention and presents specific difficulties. It'll be an M16A1 or OA-15, but there's no difference as far as what you're interested in is concerned.

4 x 2 and a cord with a weight on one end and a loop on the other ;):soldier:
You'd be on a charge for that when you got your bit of 4x2 stuck in the barrel, or you'd at least owe someone a crate of beer to avoid one ;)

In fact, I might have a couple of those Brownells tools kicking around in a box of bits, unused (natch)... I'll see what I can dig out when I get home tomorrow.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You'd be on a charge for that when you got your bit of 4x2 stuck in the barrel, or you'd at least owe someone a crate of beer to avoid one ;)
I once saw a person cleaning an SA80 (A1) and had tried to pull through too much flannelette, which was now firmly stuck in the barrel. Solution? Tie loose end of pull through to radiator (those big, old cast iron types), then firmly grasp rifle and yank it.

Result? We laughed alot as he proceeded to pull the radiator off the wall.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, if I do this as a video I can tidy up the edit, top and tail it, and it can serve as a "beginner's guide to how an AR15-type rifle works and what goes on in it and why. Dual-purposing my effort for a Bloke on the Range video.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, if I do this as a video I can tidy up the edit, top and tail it, and it can serve as a "beginner's guide to how an AR15-type rifle works and what goes on in it and why. Dual-purposing my effort for a Bloke on the Range video.
I'd also suggest a separate vid on issued cleaning kits. Regardless of others' opinions, and I'm sure many will disagree, I very much rate the SA80 RCK; it's about the best I've used and the combi tool is actually useful.

Suitably esoteric and spotterish?=)

(It's one of those strange things, the ancils for the SA80 were generally well thought through and designed (RCK, sling, mag charger etc), whilst the weapon itself was thrown into service with massive flaws).

I'd also suggest a separate vid on issued cleaning kits. Regardless of others' opinions, and I'm sure many will disagree, I very much rate the SA80 RCK; it's about the best I've used and the combi tool is actually useful.

Suitably esoteric and spotterish?=)

(It's one of those strange things, the ancils for the SA80 were generally well thought through and designed (RCK, sling, mag charger etc), whilst the weapon itself was thrown into service with massive flaws).
I don't actually have an issued AR cleaning kit - I should get one...

I think I went through the interesting bits of the SA80 cleaning kit when I did the video, but it wouldn't be difficult to get hold of one and do another vid on the topic.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Got in contact with the head armourer at CTCRM lympstone who is willing to help with the design and try the tool out so there isn't much of an issue when it comes to that.
Good!

Keep at it, best of luck!

Cheers that would help alot.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't actually have an issued AR cleaning kit - I should get one...
Wouldn't worry too much, the only good bit of kit in it is the "tooth brush" IIRC.

I think I went through the interesting bits of the SA80 cleaning kit when I did the video, but it wouldn't be difficult to get hold of one and do another vid on the topic.
Compare and contrast with SLR / M16 / G3 / Switzer STG thing RCKs, perhaps?

A 16-17 year old wants to have a go at designing something for a firearm, and has quite a good idea.

Why would you want to discourage that? Considering the general negativity about anything to do with guns in this country, if someone has a genuine technical interest then it can only be a good thing.
Because I’m a very negative and bitter person.

Slime

LE
On that basis, here's my quick precis of the original SA80 cleaning tool:

View attachment 484748

Overall rather an annoying bit of kit to use - clever design with the central swivel to get all the various items on one tool, but some of those items were not great (numbers as per the key to the photo):

1. Not too bad.
2. OK
3. Not much use as it wiggled around in the hole without removing much carbon
4. OK - but the SUSAT shouldn't have needed a spanner.
5. OK
6. Handy if you want to drill a gas plug
7. It's a screwdriver
8. Can't remember that.

Basically, this tool was like one of those Swiss Army knives which had a few handy things (knives) and a load of crap like the thing to get stones out of a horses hoof. The drill bit seemed to me to be the height of design laziness.

When this thing was in service we usually had a few bits and bobs in the rifle cleaning kits to make up for its shortcomings.

Keep it simple and effective would be my advice.
This ‘thing’ to get stones out of a horses hoof, did it by any chance look a bit like a marlin spike? :)

ETA, of course some swiss style tools have had a frog tool,

Last edited:

Latest Threads