Multi-functional tool for cleaning rifle survey

Hi,
I'm designing a tool to help clean the new C8 rifle that is starting to be used by some Paras and marines, this is all for my Design Tech A-Level so is not actually going into circulation. But as part of the course i have to do a survey. I've attached the link for the Google Survey and it's all anonymous and none of the questions are mandatory but do help alot. Feel free to fill it out (it wont take more than a few minutes). Cheers.

Does the manufacturer not provide an ‘official’ combination tool of some description?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I mean M16s have been around since 1964. So I’m sure the Americans have thought of something.
There's always room for improvement. Look at the different ways we cleaned the gas plug on that rifle.

I say give the lad a chance, he may be inventing the wheel, I don't know, but it'll be fun and constructive doing it.

Oyibo

LE
Seems like a reasonable request. But there's probably very few people on here (myself included) who have used a C8.

You might try the guns and shooting forums for more informed answers

There's always room for improvement. Look at the different ways we cleaned the gas plug on that rifle.

I say give the lad a chance, he may be inventing the wheel, I don't know, but it'll be fun and constructive doing it.
Fair comment.

Although if by that rifle you mean “that rifle” it had already been out of service for 400 years when I joined.

Seems like a reasonable request. But there's probably very few people on here (myself included) who have used a C8.

You might try the guns and shooting forums for more informed answers
Yeah I thought that may be an issue but this more just applies to cleaning rifles in general, but the final thing will be for the C8

Oyibo

LE
Yeah I thought that may be an issue but this more just applies to cleaning rifles in general, but the final thing will be for the C8
On that basis, here's my quick precis of the original SA80 cleaning tool:

1593037939323.png

Overall rather an annoying bit of kit to use - clever design with the central swivel to get all the various items on one tool, but some of those items were not great (numbers as per the key to the photo):

1. Not too bad.
2. OK
3. Not much use as it wiggled around in the hole without removing much carbon
4. OK - but the SUSAT shouldn't have needed a spanner.
5. OK
6. Handy if you want to drill a gas plug
7. It's a screwdriver
8. Can't remember that.

Basically, this tool was like one of those Swiss Army knives which had a few handy things (knives) and a load of crap like the thing to get stones out of a horses hoof. The drill bit seemed to me to be the height of design laziness.

When this thing was in service we usually had a few bits and bobs in the rifle cleaning kits to make up for its shortcomings.

Keep it simple and effective would be my advice.

Have a look at the various AR15 tools already on the market for inspiration.

Is your idea something like a Leatherman, or something simpler?

I haven't got a C8 at present, but use a C7A1. Same idea, just a bit bigger.

I think they're not too bad to clean, with just the standard cleaning kit and maybe a leatherman. Nothing wrong with extra tools though.

Suggestions for a tool might be a rounded carbon scraper for the bolt, and something pointy for the extractor retaining pin, plus the retaining split pin for the firing pin. Maybe something to help push the two take down pins out too, as these can be quite stiff on new rifles?

If using iron sights, a foresight adjustment tool might be an idea too?

One more idea might be a tool that can clean under the gas tube in the receiver? I always find that bit awkward to get to.

Mattb

LE
Just a thought - some people might appreciate a lanyard hole.

Whatever you do, make sure that you consider the other uses to which it could be put.

For example; the Galil rifle included a bottle opener to stop soldiers using magazines for the task (which bent the feed lips and caused stoppages) and the later models of M16 moved from a three-prong flash hider to a less effective bird-cage model as soldiers were using the open ended version to pry open strapping around pallets, bending the barrel.

Does the manufacturer not provide an ‘official’ combination tool of some description?
Almost certainly, but for A level you’re expected to reinvent the wheel and show the working.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi,
I'm designing a tool to help clean the new C8 rifle that is starting to be used by some Paras and marines, this is all for my Design Tech A-Level so is not actually going into circulation. But as part of the course i have to do a survey. I've attached the link for the Google Survey and it's all anonymous and none of the questions are mandatory but do help alot. Feel free to fill it out (it wont take more than a few minutes). Cheers.
Which country is the server in that is holding the survey data?

Latest Threads