Mulberry Revealed

C

cloudbuster

I wonder if the Droggies are fine-tuning their kit for future survey work on the 'Richard Montgomery'?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
are both harbours there or just the american one - the one they didn't think need fixing to the ground properly before the storm came along and wrecked it?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
there's a load of wartime vintage concrete barges amongst the hulks at purton with a couple sunk in the canal next to the river.

I think they were cargo carriers rather than mulberry kit.

Actually, are the pointy ones not Mullberry sections but concrete barges, which are something quite different?
I thought the pointy ones were the Richard Montgomery, parked near Southend.

Looks a bit pointy to me.
Indeed. But is it made of concrete ? The rectangular ones are concrete breakwaters which also housed some ack-ack guns. They appear to be the ones shown in the first scan - but i may be wrong......

All of the pontoons were dismantled by the French and used for other things until eventual scrapping IIRC.

Where was that photo taken ? Doesn't look like Arromanche to me.

are both harbours there or just the american one - the one they didn't think need fixing to the ground properly before the storm came along and wrecked it?
I understood that the US harbour was damaged beyond repair in the storm in the first week post D-Day and bits were used to repair the Brit harbour at Arromanche. I'll consult my Mulberry reference books tonight ;-)

C

cloudbuster

Concrete barges for use on inland waterways were quite common, with the concrete sprayed onto a metal mesh armature. At one stage it was a method used for building yachts, too.