Mugabe buys fighters to repulse imperialism

Zimbabwe buys six fighter jets

Associated Press in Harare
Thursday April 14, 2005
The Guardian

President Robert Mugabe's government has acquired six fighter jets "to deal with any challenges," Zimbabwe's state radio said yesterday.
It did not disclose the supplier or the price. But the aircraft appeared to be the K-8 advanced jet trainer, a Chinese copy of the British Aerospace Hawk, according to Michael Quintana, a former editor of Africa Defence Journal.

The Hawk was supplied to Zimbabwe by Margaret Thatcher's government soon after independence in 1980. But the Labour government banned the sale of spare parts in 2000 in protest at human rights abuses.

"If the country had to save up for these, no wonder we are experiencing shortages of petrol," Mr Quintana said.
The K-8 has limited combat ability. But it has been supplied to the Namibian and Zambian air forces, Mr Quintana said.

The air force's acting director of operations, Builtin Chingoto, said on the radio that the fighters were meant to keep up with technology.

"They will go a long way to improve the operations of our air force in order to defend the country's airspace and territorial integrity," he said. "They will enable the force to deal with any challenges."

Mr Mugabe described Britain as "this enemy country" at the weekend and said he was continuing to wage what he called a chimurenga, or civil war, against the remaining 20,000 white Zimbabweans for control of natural resources, particularly land. Claiming a two-thirds majority in last month's elections, he said "the nation had mobilised through the ballot box to repulse imperialism".
Chimurenga is a Shona word which means to fight or struggle. Traditionally, chimurenga or 'bongozozo' is a fight in which everyone at hand participates. The word's modern interpretation has been extended to describe a struggle for human rights, political dignity and social justice. I suggest that this is somewhat ironic.

I know that it's been done to death on this fine site, but how long are the mandarins going to allow this persecution to go on, simply because the Rhodesians 'went their own way' 30 plus years ago?

Click here for full story from Guardian Online

Assuming there was the will and the resources to engage the tw*t, where would we stage the attack from? Just about every government in sub-Saharan Africa supports him and he's too far away from the coast for Ocean and the Invinicle class "through deck cruisers" to reach him.

he'll only park the f*cking things along with his Rolls Royce and they'll rust in the sun like everything else in Zim...

Wait for his private jet to fly him out with the cash...then gun him down in the atlantic.

Just musing....

'wonder what effect a large para landing on Salisbury - Harare, sorry - airport would have....? Would it result in a fight, or the quickest and most bloodless regime change in recent history...?

send in tomohawks if we got any left then talo in the paras .Cover storey there mercs just stopping off to buy some cheap guns :) .Endex by dawn .

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
You must be kidding! Can anyone imagine Crab Air taking Hercs within 100 miles of any sort of real, flying, Air Defence - even if it is only a half-dozen Chinese knock-offs. That'd still be more than enough to take out some Hercs - unless they had a decent amount of counter-air first.

Even if one of them got up amongst the Hercs, it'd be enough.

Can we drop the Paras on Stanta and tell them it's the bush?

Having done this they can secure some "bridges" whilst everyone else goes to the party.

This way we can get the job done AND they can big themselves up without having to go to the trouble of having to do the dangling thing?

In order to send in the brigade to DZ on harare, we need the crabs. Does anyone know the number for good local hotels, it must have a pool and they wont do anything less than 4 star, oh, and if its a weekend or after 1700hrs drop you're looking for, i'm afraid they need atleast 2 months notice in order to come up with a suitable "B******s to that!"

I say we opt for the 'Dawn of The Dead' scenario and starve the f*ckers out....then maybe send in the duke of boots with some claw hammers and golf buggies.

(more effective that what we had on telic)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
moving-target-survivor said:
HAC sad....
that'll be a Stab insult I imagine.

Some of this has been covered in the thread over in Multinational HQ at
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn/Forums/viewtopic/t=14939.html

Check it out - some of the old Rhodie Selous Scout types (led by Cutaway) have already mused on the Wild Geese scenario.

In their version it's all over by sundown and the barbie goes on till dawn.....

Same ole sh7t, different day.....

<< Votez tout le monde! >>

Le Chevre

6 aircraft to "repel the forces of imperialism" eh? Bollox. They are for internal repression, and to satisfy Bob's urge for new toys. If the Forces of Imperialsim came a-knocking, they would be crisped on the ground within the first few minutes of it kicking off.

moving -target survivor...

"he'll only park the f*cking things along with his Rolls Royce and they'll rust in the sun like everything else in Zim..."

Stupid of me I thought sunshine prevented rust and not many aircraft I know of are made of any type of ferrous metals as they are invariably fukn heavy.

Thet's a 'braai', GM.
Bernoulli, of course, is spot on. There are large parts of Zim which don't go for Mugabe and his gang in a big way; he's no hero in Matabeleland, that's for sure. Kit like this is great for wiping out villages, schools, bush clinics, etc.

B

benjaminw1

Whiskybreath said:
Thet's a 'braai', GM.
Bernoulli, of course, is spot on. There are large parts of Zim which don't go for Mugabe and his gang in a big way; he's no hero in Matabeleland, that's for sure. Kit like this is great for wiping out villages, schools, bush clinics, etc.
Too right.

5th Brigade and their gentle DRRK training.....

Latest Threads