Mubarak wheeled into court

What shame? Yes, he was a ****. However:

a) He could have fled the country, but didn't.
b) Lynching him in this manner will do nothing but make him a martyr.
c) He's almost certainly going to be replaced by an even bigger ****.

Mubarak wheeled into court - on a hospital trolley!!

What a ****ing gutless coward.

This must be a wonderful moment for anyone who has suffered under his 30yr reign.

BBC News - In pictures: Hosni Mubarak trial begins

:)
Russia is going exactly the same way. Extention of Presidential terms to 6 years and no limit to the number of terms that can be served.

Wonder how that will turn out....

P

pp0470

What shame? Yes, he was a ****. However:

a) He could have fled the country, but didn't.
b) Lynching him in this manner will do nothing but make him a martyr.
c) He's almost certainly going to be replaced by an even bigger ****.
a) I thought he was in denial (no, he was in cairo) till the very end?

b) Lynching?? It's a public trial in a court of law with the worlds media watching! The only person who will call him a martyr is his Swiss Accountant

c) 'Almost certainly' - lets hope not. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Muslim Brotherhood fair/act/perform.

P

pp0470

The cage reflects badly on arab civilization. They try to humiliate him but ended humiliated themselves.
The cage is not to protect the court, it's to protect the Mubaraks!

How many of their former lackeys are currently shitting themselves and squirrelling money away in case he squeals like a pig (a halaal one of course)

Hope the future democracy will not be like it's start
What? Largely peaceful, with huge public backing and now using an open court of law to try this pathetic ****. Sounds like a good start to me.

Yeah right

He resigned relatively quickly, why don't you leave him alone and move on? Can't understand this "Arab democracy", wonder what motivated this Facebook generation, inferiority complex? This Arab youth grown up during post 9/11 era, they heard a lot how backward and undemocratic their culture, they know what is the Arab image in the world, so now they try to reinvent themselves more vigorously? It looks barbaric vengeance, not far from the old guard of the Arab world.
I bet you're fun to have at the dinner table.

The cage reflects badly on arab civilization. They try to humiliate him but ended humiliated themselves. Hope the future democracy will not be like its start
This is a country where errant school children are humiliated in front of all the other pupils in the school yard. Their misdemeanors are read out over a megaphone to ensure that everyone, including most of the surrounding neighbourhood, knows what they have done,. Subtlety is not widely understood by the Egyptians.

P

pp0470

Yeah right

He resigned relatively quickly, why don't you leave him alone and move on? Can't understand this "Arab democracy", wonder what motivated this Facebook generation, inferiority complex? This Arab youth grown up during post 9/11 era, they heard a lot how backward and undemocratic their culture, they know what is the Arab image in the world, so now they try to reinvent themselves more vigorously? It looks barbaric vengeance, not far from the old guard of the Arab world.

Are you his Mum?

And no, I won't leave him alone - the man hasn't even got the dignity to stand up and look his accusers in the eye. Pathetic.

The first shot of him this morning on the BBC coverage was of him picking his nose. Most dignified.

Whilst his alleged crimes are heinous, and do not think I am condoning his activities, everyone has the right to a little dignity. Parading an allegedly very sick man in such a fashion serves no useful purpose other than to heap derision on his peers. Expect some here are hoping that a video of him dying in the courtroom will be posted on YouTube!!

I'm just amazed he stayed in the country to face trial when he'd have been welcomed with open arms and given the very highest standards of care in Saudi Arabia, like so many other homicidal despots.

I'm just amazed he stayed in the country to face trial when he'd have been welcomed with open arms and given the very highest standards of care in Saudi Arabia, like so many other homicidal despots.
As was the late "Idi Amin"!

P

pp0470

Heard on BBC a very media-savvy English speaking westernised who doesn't see any wrong on this false start of "democracy". Listening her i was reminded on the words of Paul Johnson. In a review of the Palestinan and Arab most important intellectual, Edward Said's book The Politics of Dispossession which appeared in the Sunday Times of 17 July, 1994, British writer and journalist Paul Johnson, a former editor of the left-of-centre British weekly The New Statesman, made an amazingly frank confession: Edward Said "irritated" him, he said. Why? "At the risk of being accused by Said of orientalism if not racism," he wrote, "I would say that he [Said] exhibits the most prominent characteristic of the Arab intellectual: he is unreasonable."

I simply can't understand how the so-called "Westernised" English speaking Egyptians don't see how it shows bad on their culture.
Noir, I'm quite westernized and I think it looks ****ing great! Theatrical maybe, but long overdue justice all the same.

What is your first language Noir? (Just interested)

I was living in Moascar (H.Q. M.E.L.F.) when they chucked King Farouk out for being corrupt, anti-democratic etc. In came Naguib followed by Nasser, both junior officers leading the 1952 revolution. Egypt still seems to be the same, still with a military head of state. At least Farouk had the sense to get out of the country and not suffer the gross indignity of being wheeled into court on a gurney. Egypt had one of the oldest civilisations in the world but seems to have completely lost that inheritance.

Mubarak, when he stood down from the Presidency, proclaimed he wouldn't leave Egypt. The court case is going to be interesting as in a very short time evidence has been accumulated to supposedly convict Mubarak of corruption and complicity of action against the 'arab spring' protesters. His appearance in the caged dock as an 'allegedly' sick man will undoubtedly cause more conflict on the streets between the pro and against Mubarak. All this is set against a back drop of an Egypt suffering an economic crises, with a military struggling to accommodate all political parties' wish to have elections asap.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
total put up job, still he has the right idea seeing how these trial tend to go, staying in bed would be my prefered way of enduring it.

do you reckon he has a **** sock in there?

Yes, it might be so for the ordinary Egyptian in the street to see their 'Ex-Pharoah' and family thus treated. But, as the old saying goes....

"Beware of what is coming to replace it..."

If the Islamists, and Religious Fanatics can motivate the Egyptian electorate in large numbers, then Egypt as a society could become another Iran ruled from the background by Mullahs and Imams and other self-proclaimed 'Holy Men' while any semblance of democracy with an elected parliament will just be a front as in the case of Iran.

Egyptians will just be exchanging one 'Pharoah' with another of sorts....... so in the future, Egypt as a tourist destination will suck... no more tourist Dollars, Eurines, Pounds or whatever.....

Yes, it might be so for the ordinary Egyptian in the street to see their 'Ex-Pharoah' and family thus treated. But, as the old saying goes....

"Beware of what is coming to replace it..."

If the Islamists, and Religious Fanatics can motivate the Egyptian electorate in large numbers, then Egypt as a society could become another Iran ruled from the background by Mullahs and Imams and other self-proclaimed 'Holy Men' while any semblance of democracy with an elected parliament will just be a front as in the case of Iran.

Egyptians will just be exchanging one 'Pharoah' with another of sorts....... so in the future, Egypt as a tourist destination will suck... no more tourist Dollars, Eurines, Pounds or whatever.....
Regardless of this, Egypt is sitting on a time bomb - about 20 years or so ago, someone gave Mubarak a clock with a loud tick - something to remind him that every time it ticked, another child had been born. Cairo is already incredibly overcrowded and poverty is spreading. And poverty is the fuel that the religious extremists/fundamentalists are feeding on. The Muslim Brotherhood may be well-intentioned, but there is apparently evidence to indicate that it has been significantly infiltrated by the fundamentalists. The future there is decidedly unclear.