Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Boxingmad, May 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a boxing man, but am hopefully going to the SENI martial arts expo in London in 2 weeks time and there's a big muay thai tournament on there. Is it a lot different to boxing (of course you use the legs!) etc. I hear the training is superb for burning the calories etc. I just don't know much about it and wondered if anyone here could point me in the right direction. Fort example, are the rounds shorter, length of fight different?

Many thanks.
  2. For a start, it depends on what rules you fight under. Some tournaments/fights don't allow knees or elbows but you can still punch and kick to the head, body and legs. Others fight under full Muay Thai rules; the Art of Eight Limbs...

It's different from Boxing because, of course, you have far more options for attack and defense. And so has your opponent. Western Boxers tend to be better punchers than Thai Boxers because that is their speciality.

If you're thinking of competing, make sure you have a good instructor. There are a lot of good Muay Thai clubs and teachers. Even if, like me, you are far too cowardly to compete, the training is second to none. Both for fitness and self-defence. :)
  3. Failing that, use a big stick. :D
  4. That's why I practice Kali as well as Muay Thai! :D :lol:
  5. I have boxed but I much prefer Muay Thai.

The main flaw if you have boxed before is that when switching to Thai the clinch, which used to be a respite in boxing, is now actually a very dangerous situation. It leaves you open to elbow strikes, knee strikes not to mention being manhandled around the fight space.

Apart from that a lot of the same principles apply, much with any fighting art. A punch is still a punch. A kick is still a kick.

When Thai Boxers switch to Mixed Martial Arts they very rarely keep the same stand up punching that they learned in Muay Thai. Most resort to old school boxing for punching technique. It's the sweet science after all.
  6. The guard is different as well; Western Boxers tend to keep their hands relatively close to their head and body. Thai Boxers will keep both arms further out; this makes it easier to defend against kicks and elbows. It also gives you more oppertunity to land an elbow strike of your own.

As REMFQuestions' sig video demonstrates, an elbow to the head is one of the most devestating techniques you can land. Thai Boxers have been killed with elbow strikes to the temple... 8O
  7. If you're a boxer, forget how to weave and don't bend at the waist. Doing either will get you KTFO with knees.
  8. One of the fighters at the Academy's MMA class tried a Shoot on his sparring partner, a very experianced Thai Boxer who reacted instinctively with a knee to the face.

As the MMA fighter left the training hall, bleeding profusely, the Thai Boxer muttered, "'s only a broken nose!" :twisted:
  9. Muay Thai - the art of 8 limbs. Been training in Thai for 5 years, fought amatuer and professional in UK and Thailand, love the sport! Also boxed amatuer in my teens under ABA rules.
  10. Where did you train in Thailand?

After Herrick, I am off to Horizon Camp on Koh Phangan for 4 weeks. The wife is joining me for the Thai Massage/Cooking course and Yoga.

The total cost works out just under £500 for the month including accomodation.

Unless you can recommend another camp?
  11. I trained at Jitti Gym and Kiatphontip Gym both in Bangkok.
  12. Better still a 9 mil! :lol: :lol:
  13. Gun Kata! :D
  14. Gun Kata for the win :D

Define: Gun Kata

The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire.

15. I give you a fiery litle f*cker who I had the pleasure of training with in 1994, still on the teaching circuit... Awesome