Muay thai/kickboxing/krav maga

Hello all

I'm looking to do on of these fighting styles. I'm ideally after one that really beasts you on the fitness/conditioning side, good for self- defence and maybe (eventually) I can have a few competitive bouts.
I'd love to do them all, but I only have so much spare time. Any ideas which is the best one?

for what it's worth, I did a bit of boxing a few years ago. Into my gym work and keeping fit generally.

Ten pints of stella and an argument over the queue in the kebab shop style will trump all others.

Sent from my SM-T210R using ARRSE mobile app

Boxing is and always will be, my first love. But trying to get a coach to take you on in your late twenties is a nightmare.
Because I want to train and fight. Not just train.

I've been doing Krav for a while now. Great fun and gets quite rough when you play with the grown ups. I wouldn't describe it as a phys beasting- there are probably better ways of achieving that. Krav is just about blocking and ending the situation asap. Having said that the group I go to is run by someone who is also a PT and we do a very thorough warm up and warm down.
Systema will be much the same.

Cue the trolley mong japslapping 'expert' in 3....2....1....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

haha I've had more than my share of strett brawls.
Have you thought of upping your English Grammar before kicking the shit out of someone?
After all the local Police are going to take the piss after it's taken 6 of them to put in the wagon?
But you cant even spell your regiment or corps address because your a semi window licker at spelling?

Thai boxing is as demanding as you want it to be with a conditioning system much like boxing. Kick boxing is for flowers who like to wear satin trousers. Krav maga I have no idea about? I'm sure they will all serve you well in the strett!

Thai boxing is as demanding as you want it to be with a conditioning system much like boxing. Kick boxing is for flowers who like to wear satin trousers. Krav maga I have no idea about? I'm sure they will all serve you well in the strett!
I know a few lads round here who are into krav. A mate of mine tried to get me along but I didn't have the time. He has done various martial arts before but loves krav as it's 'dirty as ****' (his words)

Boxing is and always will be, my first love. But trying to get a coach to take you on in your late twenties is a nightmare.
Because I want to train and fight. Not just train.
Are you suggesting a amateur club is refusing you the chance to join?

Check out the below link.

Club Finder - Amateur Boxing Association of England Limited

Why try and learn a new fighting skill, any ABAE registered coach should be of the mentality if you are good enough then would endeavour to get you bouts, until aged 34 as that is cut off point for competitive bouts in the amateurs.

Boxing clubs are keen to get wins under their belt for the club, so if you are good enough you will get the bouts.

If you were into your boxing early on, you will know that the training if done properly meets all your fitness needs.

To get proficient at a new martial art enough for you to take part in competitive bouts will take you a while.

Many boxers who fought at World title level were late starters in the noble art.

That's not what my missus said after I punched **** out of her in front of the kids on Christmas morning.
Funny you should say that. I've recently taking up salsa dancing,just for a bit of fun you must understand.,and I thought my boxing background would help with my footwork.
It was only when I hit Mrs Dropshort with an eight punch combo that I knew it was not to be.

Funny you should say that. I've recently taking up salsa dancing,just for a bit of fun you must understand.,and I thought my boxing background would help with my footwork.
It was only when I hit Mrs Dropshort with an eight punch combo that I knew it was not to be.
What did Mr Dropshort have to say about that?

I done a few arts over the years. Japanese, Chinese etc I didn't really notice my fitness levels change but then I started Boxing, Muay Thai and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. My fitness levels went up and I lost weight. BJJ was the close to how I felt in the forces. That couldn't do another thing feeling. Give the boxing and Muay Thai a go- one to one training is good. All grappling arts like Judo, Sambo, BJJ and wrestling will give you a fairly good work out. Worth looking in to anyway

Have you thought of upping your English Grammar before kicking the shit out of someone?
After all the local Police are going to take the piss after it's taken 6 of them to put in the wagon?
But you cant even spell your regiment or corps address because your a semi window licker at spelling?
Merely a typing error mate. Relax.

Are you suggesting a amateur club is refusing you the chance to join?
I am lucky enough to know a couple of boxing coaches (we lift weights in the same gym) and while they were initially keen to take me on I (perhaps naively) told them my age. They then went on to say they would be reluctant to take me on at that age.

Maybe I should find a club, then keep my mouth shut til they witness I have the will to work hard. Then maybe my number wouldn't be such an issue.
Or maybe I will look into muay thai.