MTP vehicles?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Possibly a bone question, but I'm required to answer it on behalf of a colleague so I thought I'd double-check. With the introduction of MTP uniform in theatre, are we also doing a line in new vehicle colours? Everything I've seen from theatre is still desert tan, and vehicles don't generally have camo-type patterns on them anyway (it all being solid colour). Do "MTP vehicles" exist? If not, are they in the pipeline?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BrunoNoMedals

Just been informed that temperate camo is not solid OG on vehicles, and generally mixes in brown and black splodges (technical term). I knew this, but my excuse is that I only ever see tan vehicles these days!
  3. Take it you're not in the uk then? MoD vehs whether A or B fleet are solid green for 'temperate' areas these days (at least the ones I have seen are), and the colour seems to be slightly darker than the green used when we used black and green in the good old days. I've seen some ratty old defenders still cutting about in green & black, but solid green was just starting to creep in when I finished my time in 1998, when the Wolf landrovers came into service, and there was something about the warranty which stopped squaddies slathering them in multiple layers of IRR paint.

One of the younger, up and coming thrusters can probably shed more light on this.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....
  4. Yep, the days of the annual (or more) painting of the vehicles to make them 'presentable' is over... remember when you could chip the paint of and read the lines like a tree trunk?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Total fleet management has removed all sense of 'ownership' from vehicles now, so none of the lads give a flying fcuk about the wagons. Whats the point in painting it if the next week you suddenly have to swap your beautifully maintained machine for some scrapheap challenge ensemble from the 9/12, just to satisfy JAMES?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Well, you know all those layers were actually an early attempt to armour soft skinned vehicles, and up armour the armour!
  7. What the **** has JAMES got to do with it? We dont move stuff around because of JAMES, we have JAMES because we need to manage the stuff that we move around, ******* muppet
  8. Mayhap PinkPants old chap - but he's right about WFM removing any sense of ownership, we've now effectively got a whole armies worth of TMP - and those who ever had to bring that shite up to scratch before a deployment will never forget the experience.
  9. I wholehearted agree, the whole WFM thing is a complete bag of bollocks and something our fleets will never get over. Bloody good idea implemented very badly indeed. And i've had to do it and also will never forget the experience.
  10. BrunoNoMedals

Seems I've opened a can of worms!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk
  11. Your loyalty to JAMES is admiral, a bit like what Rose's was to Fred West...........

12. The sad thing is, WFM could have worked, and could have been a real blessing to troops in training.

What it needed was for those responsible for implementing it at the top level to have stayed in post for several years afterwards, visiting WFM pools unannounced and during unit handovers, to find out for themselves the reality of the situation and whther 'commander's intent' was being followed. If not find out why, and keep kicking the system till it works.

The same could be said about a great many other enterprises - following up on good ideas is not something we do well.
  13. In answer to the OP, all one colour - drab green. No change I can see on the horizon and soldiers stopped being allowed to paint waggons some time ago.