MTP Issued Webbing

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Tomo113954, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. I think Gearspotter said that they were working on some new load carrying system. So I'm guessing when that is sorted they'll put out a tender, receive the tenders, put it on hold because it costs too much, go back for a redesign as a new piece of equipment will need to fit in a pouch where it doubles in cost. Then it will get put on hold for a year as they decide they don't need it; then decide they want it anyway, then get round to manufacturing it in MTP. Half way through the manufacturing process it will be put on hold because the loosing bidders say the process wasn't fair, 2 years of Legal work to prove it was/wasn't fair and as a result doubles in cost again. Then the production lines will grind into gear and it will get delivered to MOD Depots where it will spend 6 months on a shelf. Finally it will get pushed out to Battalion where it will sit on the RQMS shelf for 6 months until he finally gets all the right ammo pouches that were missing from the original delivery. Say another 6 months sitting on a shelf before he gets round it issuing it. How are your fixed up for 2021?

2. You've missed out the bit about it being trialled by airsofters curtesey of Ebay and appearing in airsoft magazines LONG before it gets issued.

3. Pretty sure that the molle belt is going to be issued for osprey pouches.

But will people ever be deployed on ops without body drama again?

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they will tender it then approve it so the troops can buy their own after selling their old stuff on waltbay

back in the 80s the amount of MOD approved or limited issue kit available was truly astounding.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

MTp webbing to me looks awfully naff - like it's trying far too hard - what's wrong with a bit of plain shit shaded brown?

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

agreed, they cut their options when they went dpm happy in the mid 90s IMO

7. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Body armour is a whole bunch of weight and bulk to wear with a bergen...

Maybe people won't really need bergens in the future...

8. That's actually a very good point - I haven't bothered with a bergen in years and I have a 40l patrol pack (purchased in the RMAS shop many years ago) with two issue PLCE side pouches fitted. It's more than adequate. Mind you, as a Corps man, I'm vehicle mounted, but there is now widespread recognition that dismounted troops are carrying far too much kit. IIRC, there are some new SOPs on the AKX dealing with this issue.

9. Yes and that advice will help keep them warm and comfortable when out in the cuds!

If I was a betting man there will be no advice to ditch patrol eqpt, batteries, water or rations. So the savings will be in warm kit and doss bags. Which we all carry far too much of, of course, as we are unable to work out what we NEED.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  10. My two penneth worth.

Unit SOPs (in the case of my coy) are usually copy and paste from an ancient publication and tell you to pack kit that has little bearing on what you actually 'need'. In the UK climate unless it's deep winter in some god forsaken hole (Thetford, Brecon,etc) then a patrol pack and webbing with minimum warm kit should do. Why do I need to carry around a bouncing bomb, fleece, gaiters and the like when I won't use them?

If you must then a jungle bag, liner and bivvy bag will work. The amount of lads I've seen carrying back breaking loads (before adding mission specific kit) always tickles me. I understand that it's back to basics with conventional training but why do we have to bring back antique ways of doing things? Surely we've learnt lessons in the last decade that will push us away from patrolling with a house on our back and keep the whole 'take what you need' idea in play.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Which is exactly what these new SOPs are designed to achieve...