MTDs - the explanation

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MrTracey, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Extract from TAQ 6:

'Many of you will have been affected by the double round of cost
    savings that have been applied to the TA. First, our budget for the
    current year was cut by £7 million in May, and this was followed by a
    further cut of £16 million in June.

I would not insult you by passing this off with some glib ‘line to take’
    or piece of spin, and I certainly do not underestimate the impact that
    these cuts have had on many of you. I know that in some cases, units
    have had their training nights reduced to one per month and their
    training weekends reduced by half.

The fact is that a protracted operation such as HERRICK is monetarily
    very expensive. Also, we are all aware of the greater cost in life and
    limb that many of our colleagues have paid, and continue to pay, and
    we have to concentrate all our resources on training and equipping
    our deploying troops in order to minimise that cost. The Treasury is
    putting pressure on every Government department to cut costs and
    save money, so we are certainly not alone.

I wish I could say with certainty that there will not be any further cuts
    this year. What I can say with absolute certainty is that the cost savings
    are not a measure of the value placed on the TA; everyone, from the
    Prime Minister down, recognises the irreplaceable contribution that
    the TA continues to make.

It’s a tradition in the British Army – probably one of the factors that
    makes us the best in the world – that whatever is thrown at us, we
    hunker-down and crack on. That’s what we will do now in the face of
    these spending cuts. They may make life difficult in the short term, but
    we will come through
  2. So the short and curlies is a diversion of 23 million pounds to where it is needed most then.
  3. ... and how many MTDs did it cost to produce that glossy magazine?
  4. Sounds like the same tactic I would use on my wife to get my leg over. Guilt tripping us into not moaning about it. Will we see a return of MTD's after the op's have finished or will we make such a good job of working with less that we shot ourselves in the foot. We can be our worst enemies at times like this.
  5. To be honest, I had no idea how much HAD been cut - not sure it was wise to tell us!!
  6. While Op Telic was the main concern and Afghan was just about to explode, the money was there, albeit not that it was pointed out it could be used more expediently.

The Royal Navy and the Junior Service did hand over a fair proportion of their budget to the army to help them out.

Thanks for highlighting the official line Mr Tracy.
  7. Budget cuts are one thing and can be handled, as many of us are doing so, not that we have much choice. However the mechanism, or lack of, that the CoC used to implement the cuts is the tool which is flawed. As Wingletang has mentioned in another thread, if units had been given reasonable notice to reduce MTDs and indirectly training, then the whole business would have been so much easier, and importantly wouldn't have made the TA feel quite so undervalued and second rate. Hats off to the muppets who have no idea of the concept of the estimate and order process :x
  8. I'm not entirely sure how much of the total budget the cuts represent but by any margin, they are sigificant. I do also wonder what is next - more cuts? I feel valued?
  9. I suppose that's the trouble with modern warfare - you can't use plunder to recoup the costs of mounting the operation...
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sadly, as we only seem to invade benighted holes recently, the opportunities for this are very limited - unless we start selling on the enormous quantities of narcotics that the Army find in Afghanistan, and the RN in the Caribbean :)
  11. Friend of mine works in the Drug Companies trade (legit type that is) and about 2 years ago there was s serious shortage of quality source materials for all morphine based pain killers.

About 8,000 arces of land is used in the UK to grow Opium poppies now

However. Cos HM Regime had it's head so firmly up Uncle Bush's arse a chance to break the link between Taliban and opium cash crops was lost, along with the chance to make some money and force the taliban out to fight.
  12. Link doesn't work. Don't know why, as it's the right page.

Go to and "Advanced Search" the term "poppy" in "Life & Style" with the date range 1 Jan 2007 to 31 Dec 2007.
  13. Saucy!
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

My Dear! If you only knew some of the places I've been, the dumps I've seen, over the last few years - makes you wish for the chance to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, and C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate or some such nonsense.

It would certainly be nice if we did invade somewhere decent. The Army in days gone by knew this - they went for the Summer Palace in Peking, Napoleon's Coach c/w gold khazi, the Koh-i-Noor Diamond, that sort of thing.