• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MTDs at OTC

I was just given my 'running low' warning on 56. I'm not sure on the number tbh think the message that came from my RAO was 90 days. This can be extended to 117 in exceptional circumstances. This has to be authorised from brigade and normally takes 10 weeks to process. (or thereabouts) After that you start running into all sorts of legal crap like paid leave, pension plans, paid sick leave etc. Unfortunately there is no way of opting out of this to get more days. All to do with protecting the employee.

In most cases an OCdt will not get anywhere near the limit. There are however a few, such as myself, who haunt the TAC. In my unit it will screw 2 or 3 people over every year. Just remember it doesn't matter how much you work during the year, if you don't go to annual camp you don't get your bounty.

For Gp A TA Bde can authorise up to 116 days, then 117 + is at 2* authority. It is highly unlikely anything over 180 will be paid currently.

If someone in an OTC is doing these limits then for fcek's sake you can't be doing a proper degree!

For our Bde (43) the allowance over 117 is up to 220. That equates to a full time job if leave weekends and bank holidays are taken into account. Actually a quoted (slightly unfair) reason for the 117 is then you work more than a regular! I.E.

Start 365
52 weekends is 104 261
9 bank holidys 9 252
Every monday off 52 200
Half friday off 26 174
6 weeks leave 30 144
Weds sports afternoon 26 118

Voila. Not quite fair but good for a bite.

M9

assuming no bank holidays were on a monday and the 6 weeks leave was not taken on mondays, wednesday afternoons and friday afternoons.

CaptainPlume said:
For Gp A TA Bde can authorise up to 116 days, then 117 + is at 2* authority. It is highly unlikely anything over 180 will be paid currently.

If someone in an OTC is doing these limits then for fcek's sake you can't be doing a proper degree!
In 1982 I managed 194 days, kept term and got some crappy Lord Lieutenant's Certificate thingy...I also did quite a few days unpaid!! Of course it helped being an HGV driver, knowing almost as much about the servicing of an L56 PH as the professional limber gunner and being in the PSAO and gunner PSI's "good lads club"!

I believe it's a tax year reset. I vaguely remember being told about budgetary constraints limiting some courses and travel until April, but I was drinking at the time.

That's what i thought, but there seems to be a few people who have been gettings warning over the last few weeks. If it was the tax year the counter would be zero surly?

My MTDs were reset october / november not with the new tax year. Shame really as I have already done well over 117 days.

The reason the limit is 117 days is because if you do any more they have to give you holiday pay.

The OTC training year runs from 1 Oct - 30 Sep unlike the rest of the TA who run 1 Apr - 31 Mar. It ties in with the academic year for MTD, ITDs and bounty.

deejay075 said:
The OTC training year runs from 1 Oct - 30 Sep unlike the rest of the TA who run 1 Apr - 31 Mar. It ties in with the academic year for MTD, ITDs and bounty.
Which firure is on our pay slips? Is it the amount of training days for the finincial year of the MTD year?

Surely in order for the bounty to work the 'MTD year' would have to tie in with that. It is worth noting that companies and organisations are free to choose there own financial year and go away from the governments financial ear (the tax year). Yes, I do realise that the government and the OTC have a little in common but there is no legislative reason why the OTC could not run a financial year from October AFAIK.

I could go into a long and boring reply to this but will resist it. The OTC do work in the 30 Sep - 1 Oct bounty year and that is set on a pay system called TAMIS which is generated at unit locations and monitors bounty progress. However, all pay statements are generated by the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow and they work to the tax year hence you get your P60 at the end of March to show how much tax you have paid. As powerful as the OTC organisation is we are not in the position to start setting our own tax year as we do belong to the MOD!!!!

Latest Threads